Looks like ive got full blown diabetes

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Looks like ive got full blown diabetes

Postby Kisslekate » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Have been in hospital for something different and i couldnt understand why they kept taking blood and but now i know it was becuase my blood test was 7.1 7.8 and 7.5 just had another one done and a 3 month test seeing diabetes GP on wednesday - anyone know if ill be on injections (total needle phobic wimp) yikes as if this year couldnt get any worse
Life is hard. After all, it kills you. -Katharine Hepburn
Kisslekate

Postby Annoldie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi, I think that will be Type 2 diabetes - your blood sugar would most likely have been higher if you had type 1. Expect to be put on a healthy diet with a very low sugar content and you should have the support of a dietitian. Sometimes thats all you have to do to start with. You may be put on some tablets and shown how to test your own blood sugar. It is unlikely that you will be put on Insulin injections unless you have Type 1 diabetes or have had type 2 diabetes for some time. You will be asked to attend a diabetic clinic regularily where they will monitor your health and diabetes - you get your eyes tested and feet checked , Blood pressure and blood tested. It's not the end of the world, but you will need to take it seriously and look after yourself. I have type 2 diabetes, unfortunately it is one of the possible long term effects of pcos. Hope this helps. Ann
Annoldie

Postby Kisslekate » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:01 am

thanks i feel much better - mny GP did mention me starting Metformin again (yuk) but if it helps - am most worried about my eye sight its gone downhill so quickly, will provide an update after my appointmnet on wednesday

Thanks again

Kate
Kisslekate

Postby Annoldie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:09 am

Yes it probably will be Metformin,but if it has previously made you feel very yukie tell your GP and ask if you can have the slow release version - most people tolerate that much better. It is a little more expensive, but not that much. If you have only just become diabetic it is unlikely that your eye problems are diabetes related. Sorry I don't know how old you are but a lot of women in their 40s suddenly find that their near vision deteriorates and they need specs or different specs - alas it is normal ageing! What I don't know and as yet have been unable to find out,is what effects having been Insulin Resistant makes to diabetes - does it mean that things like eye problems start earlier? Sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know. Ann
Annoldie

Postby Kisslekate » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi all

Just a mini update , well its confirmed i have diabetes 2, have been referred to dietician and for retinal scan and put on metformin - have a diabetic clinic appointment for 3 months time. have to have bloods done etc first. No blood testing yet,

Feel weird but ok, just taken my 1st met with dinner.

Kate xx
Kisslekate

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes