Could I have blood sugar problems?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Could I have blood sugar problems?

Postby lmacgirl87 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Hello,

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago but never had investigations into my insulin levels. I find that when I am hungry I get really bad shakes and feel faint and after lunch I always feel really tired and sluggish. Doesn't matter what I have for lunch, be it salad and chicken or a baguette or a pasta salad. I wondered whether I could have problems with my blood sugar? My Grandpa is diabetic. I was wondering about getting a home blood sugar tester (they're half price at Sainsburys at the moment) and testing my blood sugar first thing in the morning. Only thing is I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for?

Any suggestions? I eat a balanced diet and have a mixture of fresh fruit/veg with carbs, protein etc in my meals. Thank you in advance.

Laura xx
lmacgirl87

Postby petsnponies » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:57 am

Hi Laura,

I've had type 1 diabetes for 5 years now and I was diagnosed my Lloyds pharmacy (they do a free check - no appointment needed you can just walk right in and ask for it). I'd probably to that first because its free.

If you have already brought yourself a tester, you are looking for a blood glucose of between 4 and 8 (though 8 is quite high first thing in the morning).

my major symptom before i was diagnosed was i was peeing LOADS and was so thirsty, i also lost alot of weight and got cystitis over and over.

if your wondering what foods are best for steady blood sugars, i find the Glycemic index very useful.

Hope I've helped a little!

Zoe
petsnponies

Postby lmacgirl87 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks Zoe,

I bought a tester and my level seems to average about 5.5 before breakfast. Lots of websites say anything between 3.9 ad 5.9 is normal before breakfasts. I keep meaning to check it before and after lunch as that is when I get shaky, like now! Just had jacket potato with beans and salad and I have shakes and hot flush!

I am prone to cystitis, 3 times since April. Doctor said if I get it again before Christmas she'd look into it, which seems fair enough.

Thanks for your advice, I follow WeightWatchers but have swapped to a low GI weightwatchers plan.

Laura xx
lmacgirl87

Postby nangee » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi
Just wanted to say i was diagnosed earlier this year with type 2 diabetes and as i am pregnant i have to check my blood sugars a lot at the moment for me my blood sugars are supposed to be 5.9 or below before meals and then 2 hours after meals they should be 7.9 or below so maybe if you remember to check before lunch it might just mean that you need a little snack mid morning or lunch a little bit earlier! oh anything below 3.9 is too low!!
Oh and another little tip make sure that you always wash your hands before testing as stuff like touching paper can leave traces of sugar on your skin which can really affect the outcome of your results!!
Sorry if i have rambled a bit but hope everything gets sorted for you!!

Stacey
ImageImage
nangee

Postby lmacgirl87 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:22 am

Thanks for the advice ladies. Checked my level at 11.30 (hour before lunch) and it was 8.8! I think I am going to test it for a couple of days and then maybe go into the Lloyds that Zoe suggested. I don't want to hassle my GP for no reason, I think she sees enough of me as it is!

I'll let you know the outcome of my investigations.

Thankyou :-)
Laura xx
lmacgirl87

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes