Diabetes and PCOS

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Diabetes and PCOS

Postby smile5 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi, Im just after some advice and info really.

Ive recently been diagnosed with PCOS after quite a few years of problems. I recently had a fasting glucose test, have not had any results back yet.

I was given some info on PCOS and it said that some women will later develop type 2 diabetes.

Now Ive been having problems for a while that we can't get to the bottom of.

For over a year now Ive had stomach related problems, the main one is feeling sick a few hours after eating, on and off with frequent bowel movements and weight loss. I have had tests and nothing has been found.

Recently Ive put on a few pounds and am on the borderline of being underweight. However its seems that its only on the scales. Otherwise it feels and looks like Im losing weight on my body eg my arms,wrists and legs. This I find confusing. Surely if I was losing weight I would also be losing it on the scales.

A few months back I had really bad tiredness and other symptoms. Whilst at work my arms and legs would ache when bending etc. Then after lunch I would feel unwell, feel really tired, then really cold and shivery. It was really difficult to get back into work after lunch. The time between eating breakfast and lunch would have been about 6-7 hours.
Ive not been at work for a bit and have not noticed this as much, maybe thats because I eat more often now, say 3-4 hours in between.

Also recently Ive been going to the toilet much more often and sometimes twice during the night (at least once most nights).

I just dont know if something is up, whether its associated to the PCOS or its just something else.

Im just confused by the weight loss/weight gain problem. When I read about PCOS and diabetes type 2 it says its more likely in overweight women.

The one thing I cant cope with is feeling sick, it happens nearly every night. A few hours after eating dinner.

Thanks
smile5

Postby Annoldie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi smile and welcome. This does sound like an Insulin or Insulin Resistance problem. Your GP is doing some tests so you may get an answer very soon. Meanwhile it might help to have small frequent meals or at least meals with a good snack in between. Cut your sugar intake down and try a low GI diet. If this doesn't help and your GP doesn't manage to sort it, ask to be referred to an Endocrinologist. Have you had your urine tested for sugar? You don't have to be overweight to have Type 2 diabetes. Ann
Annoldie

Postby smile5 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:59 am

Thanks for your response, just another quick question really. Does that mean the feeling sick most of the time can be down to low/high sugar levels?
I would never have given that a thought. Usually I end up eating a ginger sweet to ease the nausea. I will take your advice on eating more regular during the course of the day, with smaller meals and a couple of snacks.
Im just hoping to get something sorted. I start a job soon and two of my shifts are evening (when I normally feel sick), I dont want to feel ill whilst working.
smile5

Postby Annoldie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:23 am

Yes it does. A low GI diet contains more fibre and slows down the absorption of carbohydrates, this along with small frequent meals should give you a more level blood sugar and make you feel better. Sugar is absorbed rapidly so try to keep off the sugary foods as much as you can. See if it helps. Ann
Annoldie

Postby smile5 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:07 pm

Sorry for all of the questions. I just feel like there is something not right and have been trying to keep an eye on things.

If I had an insulin or insulin resistance problem would they be effected by exercise if it wasn't being controlled.
I ask this because today I noticed problems when I was exercising.

Today at 7:30 I had my breakfast of cereal and toast, then at 10:00 I had a snack of a plum and a yoghurt. Then at 12:15 I played sports for an hour. After 5 mins of exercise my legs felt like jelly. Straight after exercising say at about 1:45 pm I had lunch. Even after eating my arms felt weak.

Even this evening my legs feel weak. I am generally a fit person and have played sport for years. So found it unusual to feel weak in the legs after just 5 minutes.

Ive still not heard back about my results so Im assuming they are normal. I dont want to bother my gp, Ive been to them about so many problems in the last year I worry they will think Im making it all up.
smile5

Postby Annoldie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:45 pm

That doesn't sound right to me. I think you should go back to your GP, I know you think you are being a pest but better that, than miss something. You can ask what your blood test results are and then tell him the other bits. It just might be unrelated to PCOS or Insulin Resistance.
Annoldie

Postby smile5 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks again for your reply. I was curious about my blood glucose levels, so I purchased a blood glucose monitor. Two hours after I ate a chicken sandwich this evening I measured my levels and it was 4.6mmol, which I am guessing is a normal level. This just confuses things more for me. Im still drinking more, feel hungry a lot more, going to the toilet a lot more. Sometimes I cant tell if I feel nauseus or hungry and I still believe Im losing weight on my arms/legs etc. Im seeing a gastro person at the end of the month, so guess I will have to look at that avenue.
smile5

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes