PCOS Men- Insulin resistance and diabetes

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Do you know of or are you a man with PCOS?

Yes, I know men with PCOS
No votes
Yes, I am a man with PCOS
No votes
No
No votes
I'm not sure
40%
There's no such thing
60%

Total votes : 5

PCOS Men- Insulin resistance and diabetes

Postby wanderlustlost » Fri May 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi

Does anyone have any information on men with PCOS?

I'm sure that I've got PCOS from my dad's side of the family. My Opa was diabetic and both he and my dad had/have the symptoms that I've read are associated with PCOS in males.

My dad has issue shifting the excess weight he carries around his middle, he has male pattern baldness, he has oily skin, high blood pressure and he is very hairy. I also suspect he is insulin resistant but it's not something he has had confirmed by a doctor.

My Opa (his father) was the same only he was diabetic and was taking Metformin for it. (He was non-insulin dependant in that he didn't have to have injections.)

My dad isn't terribly concerned with this potential heatlh risk and I don't have very much information on PCOS in men.

I know what the health risks are to me and how important it is for me to be treated. My dad is only taking medicine for his blood pressure at the moment but his problems with his weight has lead to some severe health issues in the past. He's never ever been obese just bigger than he'd like and doctors have advised him to try to reduce his waist line for health reasons. Especially since diabetes runs in the family. This has lead to him crash dieting and all sorts and he has been quite underweight in the past.

Do you know of any men in your family or in your support networks who suffer from PCOS and what they do about it?

I feel like with more information I could help my dad make a positive decision about what to do with this potential health risk as opposed to just ignoring it until it becomes a serious issue (if ever).

Thanks everyone!
wanderlustlost

Postby zanussi » Fri May 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Collette Harris mentions PCOS in men briefly in one of her books but says that very little is known about it.
I should imagine that you'd have a lot of trouble getting a GP to take it seriously given that so many of them know so little about PCOS and how to treat it in women!
I guess if diabetes runs in your family then a low GI diet would be good for your dad and that might help some of his problems and prevent him developing diabetes. Luckily as a man the other things such as baldness & hairiness are just seen as normal for men of a certain age so I don't know if anything could help him there.
Good luck with persuading him to do something about it xx
zanussi

Postby Annoldie » Sat May 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi there. My father and his mother - my grandma - were both diabetics and I am pretty sure my mother had pcos, so I think it is on both sides of my family. The diabetes associated with pcos is type 2, it tends to develop over a period of time unlike type 1 which can happen over a few days and often after an infection. I don't know what they call pcos in men - possibly syndrome X. The treatment seems to be very similar for men as for women with pcos - a low GI diet to level out the blood sugar and plenty of exercise - regardless of weight. You could do that together. A lot of work is currently being done on the genetics of pcos - so I think it is a case of watch this space! It would be worth both of you getting your BP, cholesterol and blood sugar checked perhaps once a year to help prevent long term problems. Hope this helps. Ann
Annoldie

Postby wanderlustlost » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Thank you both!

I've read Colette Harris's books and I did see the brief mention of men and PCOS. Essentially it recaps what both of you have just said.

I'm definitely going to see if I can talk to my dad about a Low-GI diet plan. He suffers from eating/food issues and I think something that's going to help him control his blood sugar levels but not cut him off completely from things he loves (bread, pasta, potatoes) is a good thing. When he tried Atkins he went a bit out of control.

My dad and I don't live near eachother anymore but he does get plenty of exercise (he's a runner) and he gets regular health check-ups because of his high blood pressure so he's keeping an eye on all those other things.

I think perhaps the best thing I can do is talk to him a bit more about PCOS and insulin resistance and Low-GI eating and see how it goes. He's constantly frustrated that he can't shift his weight despite all the running he does (and the dieting!). And he's very very self-conscious about his hair. It's easier socially speaking for him to be balding but he's very very unhappy with it.

Thanks for your help and advice!
wanderlustlost

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes