Type 2 Diabetes & infertility - could it be PCOS?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Type 2 Diabetes & infertility - could it be PCOS?

Postby CME77 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi I am a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed 2 years ago, my diabetes nurse suggested that I may be Insulin Resistant but never did any more than suggest it, I am on Metformin for the diabetes and am pretty much managing to control my Blood Sugars. We have been trying for a baby for 4 years with no success and have had all the normal hormone tests/HSG/SA tests, I am 37 and would like to find out what wrong but this is proving difficult. My cycles are regular within a day or two of 27 days so doesn't really suggest PCOS but my periods themselves are extremely painful mostly in my lower back but also in my front, heavy, they only last 5-6 days but I have to use a menstrual cup and pad at night for protection at the start as they are so bad, I have mentioned this to the GP a few times but she only seems concerned with my diabetes/High blood pressure and as all our infertility testing came back normal (except progesterone which was slightly lower than it should be) she doesn't think anything is wrong. I suppose I'm asking whether irregular cycles are a must have symptom for PCOS, or whether its possible to have regular cycles and still have it, it would tie in with the insulin resistance and my struggle to keep my weight under control, and I wonder if I should be pushing more to get a diagnosis or whether my GP is right to dismiss it, any advice would be appreciated xx
CME77

Postby Annoldie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:56 am

Welcome to the discussion board. Yes you can have regular periods and pcos. Given your age and the fact that you have been trying to conceive for 4yrs, has your GP referred you to a fertility clinic? Have you had your ovaries scanned and has your husband been checked out? I think I would push for a referral - this is probably not your GPs area of expertise. It takes time to get investigations done and time is not on your side. Lots of help is available but I think you have to push to get it. Ann
Annoldie

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes