Could I have some advice re diabetic symptoms

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Could I have some advice re diabetic symptoms

Postby looey82 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone. I am 27 and have PCOS.
I've only been diagnosed since March this year.
I am slim- I'm 5 foot 9 and only weigh about 9 stone. I'm starting to wonder if I may have some form of diabetes after looking on the net at some symptoms/ailments I've been having.

1) My doctors said that I had low blood pressure.

2) I've had a lump on the back of my leg for a while, which was skin coloured and the doctor didn't think much of it and now it's black and oozes a bit! Yuck. Now I've read that leg ulcers are common in diabetics.

3) When I had some blood tests done last year when they were investgating why I wasn't having periods- one of the tests came back with my blood sugar level was high so I had to go back and have a fasting one- but then that one was ok.

5) I have had some numbness in my finger tip- just twice this week but never had that before.

4) I seem to have numb arms and legs a lot every night- last night my ear kept going really numb and hurting.

When I've done internet searches, diabeties has been cropping up a lot. Am I totally barking up the wrong tree??!! Any help would be appreciated.
TTC Mar 08
Clomid#1 May 09-BFP- MMC at 9+2wks
Natural BFP- Dec 09! Lost baby girl at 18+5 wks due to pPROM
12 clomid cycles & 2 x FSH injections with IUI- BFNs
IVF#1- 25 eggs, 8 fertilised, 1 back + 4 frosties!
IVF BFP- Clexane & prog injections, low dose steroids & aspirin
Aug 12- DS born at 27+5wks after 10 weeks of problems
TTC#2 Nov 13
Mar 14- FET 1 embryo transfered- BFP- early MC
IVF DD born at 34+4wks Apr 2015
looey82

Postby Annoldie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi Looey. The only way you will really know is by getting your GP or Pracise Nurse to check you out, but it doesn't sound like diabetes to me. Type 1 diabetes usually comes on very quickly, often after an infection and you would probably feel very tired and unwell. Type 2 diabetes usually affects older people or overweight younger people. Numbness and leg ulcers tend to occur in people who have had diabetes for some time and are developing circulation problems and nerve damage. The common early signs of diabetes are thirst and passing urine frequently - often in lare amounts. Type2 diabetes is the one most commonly associated with PCOS. Keeping your weight down, eating less sugar and low GI carbohydrates will help to prevent diabetes. Hope this helps .Ann
Annoldie

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes