Insulin levels at different points in menstrual cycle

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Insulin levels at different points in menstrual cycle

Postby BethC » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi

I'm just wondering if this is coincidence or not. I have been eating the GI way for the past couple of months since a scan showed PC ovaries. I had to have another blood test done as they didn't do it on the right day of my cycle initially so still haven't been officially diagnosed. However, I am sure I have insulin resistance as get nauseous and dizzy if I don't eat and definitely feel the effects of eating foods high in sugar.

Anyway, back to the point. I have been controlling my glucose levels really well with the diet, but last week, towards the end of my cycle (which seems to be a bit more regular) I got really major carb cravings and just could have eaten constantly. I'm wondering if where you are in your cycle can affect your insulin levels?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

Beth
BethC

Postby sorcha » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 pm

yes, same for me...the weekend before my period is frequently like that and so I always need to keep very very busy in order to not give in to it!
sorcha

Postby LittleDot » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:50 pm

The cycle can affect insulin levels. I'm an insulin dependent diabetic. When I'm post ovulation my sugar levels raise (and gives me cravings for sweet things) so I have to increase my insulin dose. When I see AF my suger levels dip so I have to put my insulin dose back to the original dose prior to ovulation.

Hope this helps.
Dot
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Cycle

Postby Ehlana » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:43 pm

Gosh I am so glad that someone else gets this! About 2/3 days before my period I could eat for Britain!! Always carby things like chips - nothing else will do. I find it stops as soon as my period starts and I don't feel quite so bloated as well.

We are slaves to our hormones.......
Ehlana

Postby BethC » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Dot - that's really interesting about the insulin. What does AF mean though?

Nice to know I'm not the only one!
BethC

Postby priyabram » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:16 am

AF is Aunt flow - to indicate when you begin to menstruate. I haven't checked my insulin levels but I certainly have fluctuating weight and associated cravings prior to AF coming. So much so that the bulk of my weight loss efforts are concentrated on Day 6 - Day 20 only. The rest of the days D21 - D5 are when my weight will be about 2kgs more and if I can control my hunger pangs I can manage to keep the wt loss of the previous days.
PCO discovered in 2009. Age 34, BMI 29, TTC#1
OD in Jan 2010,
Clomid 50 cycle 1, +O, BFN
Clomid 50 cycle 2, CD 7
priyabram

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes