Am I diabetic?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Am I diabetic?

Postby emilylovesbagpuss » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:20 am

Hello Guys
I am going to make a docs appt but wanted to run things by the experts first LOL!

I am unusual in that I am a pear shaped PCOS sufferer, but just lately I have been putting weight on around my middle! I am overweight anyway as my BMI is 31 but I have normally got a relativly flat tummy. I also suffer from weird tired fazes- normally after I eat or havent eaten for a while - I kinda drift off and cant concentrate - not good if I am driving! I am on 60mg of metformin a day and also take 10mg citalopram....my maternal uncle is diabetic,as was my maternal grand mother and mum is being tested - although theirs are all age and weight related.....

What do you guys think??
emilylovesbagpuss

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:54 am

well if theres a sniff of diabetes on your dads side then probarly u will have to check on it.
FIREFIGHTER

Postby Annoldie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi, I agree with FF, it's worth getting checked out if only to put your mind at rest. Have the diabetics in your family all got type2 diabetes? This usually comes on fairly slowly with symptoms of thirst and frequent trips to the loo. Your symptoms sound more like Insulin Resistance which can eventually lead to diabetes but with a healthy diet, low sugar and plenty of exercise you can keep diabetes at bay for longer. Metformin for pcos will also help but may mask the symptoms. Perhaps get your GP or practise nurse to check say every 6mths. With a family history similar to yours, plus pcos I managed to get to 68yrs before being diagnosed so you could have plenty of time yet! Ann
Annoldie

Getting results on Thursday Morning!

Postby Jen1985 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:45 pm

I am 23 and have known I have PCOS since i was 18.

Although, over the last year or so I have put on a stone and a half, pretty much all on my belly it seems.... and for at least the last two years i find that i have dizzy spells and get real bad shakes if i haven't eaten in a while...

Noone that I know of has Diabetes in my family, but i thought i ought to get checked out anyway...

I get the results for a blood test, where they tested me for diabetes, anemia and lymphoid on Thurday 8th Oct in the morning... little afraid that it may be bad news... :?

If i haven't got diabetes i will be very confused as to what is wrong... and why i cant seem to shift the belly weight... getting married in just under 2 years and want to loose the stone and a half for then... and hopefully have a flat belly to boot!

Can anyone give me any tips to loose the belly fat?
Jen1985

Postby Jen1985 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:40 pm

Been to the docs and everything is clear... which is great!
But still wondering whats wrong :-/

Anyone got any suggestion?

Jen x
Jen1985

Postby CASSANGA » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:37 pm

try eating a little and often to make sure your blood glucose stays stead. And always make sure every meal contains some protein, it can be animal or vegeatable protien.
CASSANGA

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes