Metformin and weightloss

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Metformin and weightloss

Postby ladyblues » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:32 pm

My GP is really lovely and she has said that she has researched metformin and PCOS quite alot and that for many PCOS woman metformin isnt said to be very successful for weightloss and that its actually more successful in helping woman achieve pregnancy be it naturally or with clomid.

Because of this she wants me to contact my fertility department and ask whether I should continue with it (I am not actively TTC due to health probs :( )

She also said that some doctors/healthboards are becoming increasingly strict when it comes to perscribing metformin for PCOS.
ladyblues

Postby samone » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:16 pm

I have had metformin for my pcos for about the last 7 years, i don't think it has helped me to loose weight.
I had steroids before that, but they didn't work for me, just made me look like i had a moon face, so i was taken off these, and then given metformin, but i was never told that it was normaly for diabetics. i found out when i was getting it from the chemist, and they asked me why i was paying for my perscriptions. i had to explain that i was not diabetic.
well all that has changed now, i was insilin resistant for 5 years, and then in may this year i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so i am still taking metformin, and i will have to take it for as long as it works.
although i still have trouble trying to control my eating, i know that i can damage myself but that doesn't seem to stop me.
samone

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes