Been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

Postby jennaj76 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:40 pm

Hey all,

I have had some news recently that i am Type 2 Diabetic and now on inulsin which I have to take 4 times a day.

What foods are safe for me to eat.

I have been told that I have to cut down on my carbs.

Is that true
jennaj76

Postby Annoldie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:11 am

Hi Jenna, as a new diabetic your practice should have arranged for you to get information, help, and support from either a nurse who who has special training in diabetes care or a dietition. If you have slipped through the net I think you should give them a ring. Getting the balance right between what you eat and your medication takes a bit of trial and error and help from the professionals. Most good chemist shops sell inexpensive little books about diabetes that you might find helpful. Good luck. Ann
Annoldie

Postby jennaj76 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:12 pm

What do you mean slipped through the net????

I have only just been told I am on insulin
jennaj76

Postby Annoldie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Sorry Jenna, when you said "I am on Insulin", I thought you were saying you had already started it, so I couldn't understand why you had not been given help with your diet - hence thought you might have got lost in the system - Slipped the net. When I was diagnosed the practice nurse was really helpful. As I was already on a low GI diet which is very suitable for diabetics ,I was just told to continue but be extra careful about the amount of sugar I have. I am not on Insulin but I know that works a little differently to Metformin and you may need more help than I did. Please don't worry about it, I'm sure you will be fine and soon get the hang of it. It will all seem a bit daunting just now - I spent ages waiting in clinics the first few weeks, routine stuff, getting my eyes checked, feet checked, being shown how to test my blood sugar etc. It seemed to take up a lot of time. You should be able to eat most things, but some in smaller amounts and others as treats - it's basically a healthy diet. You should feel so much better once you are sorted out with your Insulin. Big hugs. Ann
Annoldie

Postby jennaj76 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:01 pm

No i have just been told to take insulin.

I am seeing the dietician next week
jennaj76

Postby Annoldie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Good luck with your appointment with the dietition, let us know how you get on. When do you start the insulin? Ann
Annoldie

Postby jennaj76 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 am

I have already started taking the insulin I started on Wednesday last week. Seeing the dietician on Wednesday and going for a scan on my liver when I get the appointment sorted
jennaj76

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes