Hypoglycemia nightmare - Help!

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Hypoglycemia nightmare - Help!

Postby Katie82 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:00 am

Hi

I'm currently having a lot of trouble with blood sugar - it seems unusually low ALL the time. After going back to my doc and begging to test me again for Diabetes, they did a GTT and found that my blood sugar drops rapidly after ingesting glucose. I am waiting to see an Endo right now, and am monitoring my blood sugar levels with a Gluco Monitor. I can barely get it about 3.5 mmol - and now seem to have Chronic Fatigue because I've been running on empty for so long now!
The doc has suggested I come off Metformin, but I know I feel so much worse without it.

I am going insane and don't know what to do. I think perhaps I have elevated Insulin levels, but without seeing the Endo (appointment another month away) I have no idea how to manage things and life just feels like an up hill battle. I've ended up back on anti depressents to help me cope.

I am eating super healthily, and avoiding sugar and starchy foods, alcohol, caffine, the works - anything that could could a spike in my glucose and I've stopped taking any real strenuous exercise, taken up yoga instead.

In addition I have IBS - I can't have EVERYTHING wrong with me, surely!

If anyone has got any advise before I lose my marbles completely? Does anyone else experiences this
Katie82

Postby Annoldie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Sorry Katie, I don't think we mean to ignore you - we just don't know the answer! Your problem does seem to be unusual. Could your GP get your apt. with the Endo expidited? A month does seem to be a long time to wait with a blood sugar of 3.5. Ann.
Annoldie

Postby Katie82 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:22 pm

No problemo. It seems I am something of a medical enigma :)

I have tried and tried to bring this appointment forward and every time I see my GP he just phobs me off and tells me to see what they say.

I even had to ask to be referred to see my PCOS consultant because I haven't seen one for 2 years and clearly I think I need to.

Its so frustrating no-one seems to be taking me seriously.

I've even asked for copied of my medical notes, and notice that all blood test I have been for show a lower than average fasting blood sugar - but because it could be percieved as within 'normal' range then no-ones ever thought to a GTT before!!!

The first time I was tested for Diabetes, because I felt something wasn't right, was when I was 14. I am now 27!

:(
Katie82

Postby LittleDot » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi

www.diabetes.org.uk has hypoglycaemia advice. Hope it helps.

Dot
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Postby babygem » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Katie,

When I had a GTT my blood glucose dropped to 3.9, which I was told indicates insulin resistance - glucose drink results in too much insulin being released hence low blood glucose result.

What are your fasting glucose levels like? Are they also as low as 3.5? Are you getting any symptoms associated with low blood glucose - dizziness, nausea, irritability and so on? If so are these relieved when you eat something with (low gi) carbs in it?

Sounds as though you are doing all the right things re diet and exercise. Could it be you are cutting carbs in your diet back too much though? If you aren't doing it already, following a low gi diet might help stabilise your blood glucose levels?

I think you really need to see the endo - perhaps your metformin dose needs adjusting, rather than stopping completely if you're finding some benefit from it, and it is the endo who will hopefully be the expert on this. I also wonder whether any other drugs you are taking such as the anti depressants might also be affecting your levels? Something to research and ask the endo/GP perhaps?
babygem

Postby Vedrana » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:39 pm

Katie82
How much met do u take every day? and how much do you weight? mbecause it could be that simply the met does need to be adjusted. that happend to me... i had low glucose and than the endo swiched me from 1000 mg a day to 500 mg a day and its great. at the beginnig the 1000 mg dose was ok but than i couldnt take it anymore. i guess because the
IR by than was better under control? i dont know but that might be it....
let us know what the doctor says...
good luck
V.
VeDrAna :)
PCOS + IR + Pituitary Tumor
Metformin 500mg/day
Vedrana

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes