what's going on?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

what's going on?

Postby Lamb » Tue May 26, 2009 9:43 am

Hi folks,

Bit of an odd week for me since starting the Metformin - on one hand I have already lost just over 1/2 a stone so am delighted that it seems to be working on that front!

However, I have had for 5 days crazy urine urgency, all day/night - at night I am getting up at least 3 times to pee and have been unbelievably thirsty all the time, especially at night and when I wake up in the morning. Feeling really 'hypo' - getting shaky, having hot sweats and feeling faint quite often.

Not sure if this is a SE of the Metformin, but I've not read about these symptoms (they all talk about bloated/digestive probs)... It does read like diabetes symptoms though which is a bit worrying, but it seems odd all this has come on as I start the medication for Insulin Resistance..?!

I've called my GP and am awaiting them to call me back this afternoon...

Anyone else had this?
Diagnosed PCOS - Apr 09
Supplements: Omega 3 Oils, multivitamin /mineral
Holistic Support: Indian Herbs
BMI: TBC Weight: TBC
Mummy to baby Harrison born 13-1-2012!
*******STAY POSITIVE*******
Lamb

Postby LittleDot » Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi,

Excessive thirst and urination is usually signs of high sugar levels.
Hypo (low sugar levels) symptoms are what you have described.

Not sure whether they are metformin SE or how the metformin is working with ur food and body.
This is only a possibility of what might be happening (I'm no doctor thou) - metformin as I understand regulates sugar levels. If u take a dose in the evening could it be ur sugar levels are high due to what u may have eaten for tea of supper before going to bed and meformin has taken its time to work with the food in take, when it does start to wotk it over works causing a hypo (low sugars) the following morning?????

U r describing possible high and low sugar levels symptoms thou.

Dot
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Postby Greenfingers » Wed May 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi, Did you have a blood test before you were prescibed Met - I was and it was a test for liver and kidney function and the test is to be repeated in 4 months. I am just wondering if its affecting your kidney function, sorry do not mean to panick you but its a good idea to call the doc just to get it checked out.
me 38 dh 42 ttc May 2007
bloods normal
Apr 09 - Met 1500g - stopped
Sept 09 - weekly Acc
4 pointless cycles of Clomid
Lap&OD showed Unicornuate uterus & blocked tube next HSG July 10 tube clear!!! & applied for IVF
Check out GROUP NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Greenfingers
Local Group Leader

Postby Lamb » Thu May 28, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks for the replies :)

I am only taking Met (SR version) once a day currently - until yesterday I took it with my evening meal, but decided to change that yesterday to taking it with lunch, since I thought this might be better than effectively only getting use of it from dinner meal and not lunch and dinner (does that make sense?) I'm building up to taking it twice a day - which I will start next week).

Strange thing though - yesterday morning I got my period (HOORAY!) about 3 weeks late (my cycle changes from month to month wildly) but since then all the the urgency symptoms have just stopped... and the thirst seems less, although not gone. So weird. Anyway I spoke to my GP and she has organised for me to get a blood test next week to test for Blood Sugar's over the last 3 months, called an HTC1B test or something like that! - anyone heard of it? - how can they tests back over 3 months? :? Plus test my urine - is that for diabetes? Is there a test I can do at home?
Diagnosed PCOS - Apr 09
Supplements: Omega 3 Oils, multivitamin /mineral
Holistic Support: Indian Herbs
BMI: TBC Weight: TBC
Mummy to baby Harrison born 13-1-2012!
*******STAY POSITIVE*******
Lamb

Postby LittleDot » Thu May 28, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi Lamb,

HBA1c is to check your average blood sugar level over past 3 months (quite clever, don't know how it works).

You can get home monioring kits for blood and urine. I use Diastix test strips for urine and you can ask for them at a pharmacy if you are unable to get them on prescription. My doc usually checks my first urine sample of the day (early morning urine sample).

There are numerous blood testing kits available, u can get the test strips on prescription. I'm sure your doc will advise if u need a home blood montioring kit, it can be an expensive game and the monitors get updated so quickly now (modern technology hey!).

All the best!!
Dot
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes