Metformin & alcohol

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Metformin & alcohol

Postby Lamb » Fri May 22, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi peeps,

Recently started Metformin and an doing a low GL diet (90%) of the time - all going well this week so far :) But I wondered about drinking alcohol - I know it says on the instructions to 'avoid alcohol' - but i wondered what your experiences were? I mean can I never drink alcohol again? Or am I still able to have a glass of wine or two with dinner?

I'm not a big boozer, but it would be good to know if I now need to be teetotal forever (eek?!).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)
Diagnosed PCOS - Apr 09
Supplements: Omega 3 Oils, multivitamin /mineral
Holistic Support: Indian Herbs
BMI: TBC Weight: TBC
Mummy to baby Harrison born 13-1-2012!
*******STAY POSITIVE*******
Lamb

Postby Greenfingers » Tue May 26, 2009 8:07 am

Hi Lamb

When I was Prescibed Metformin I was told to totally ignore the instructions in the packet......so have been drinking a few glasses on wine quite happily even took my met with a glass of rose wine yesterday lunch time!!!! with no side effects at all.

Greenfingers
me 38 dh 42 ttc May 2007
bloods normal
Apr 09 - Met 1500g - stopped
Sept 09 - weekly Acc
4 pointless cycles of Clomid
Lap&OD showed Unicornuate uterus & blocked tube next HSG July 10 tube clear!!! & applied for IVF
Check out GROUP NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Greenfingers
Local Group Leader

Postby aem » Tue May 26, 2009 1:16 pm

[color=blue]When I was prescribed met I carried on drinking as normal, I'm 19 so as you can imagine it wasn't just the odd glass of wine with a meal or anything, proper "binges" I suppose they would be called.
On a few occasions I did feel a bit short of breath/dizzy but I honestly couldn't say for sure whether or not that was due to the met, alcohol or some other reason.
I think if you are worried it would be best to go back to the
doc and ask[/color]
aem

Postby Katie82 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi

I have been on and off Met for several years now - and my advise would be to have the occasional drink if you want it, but do make sure you've eaten something substantial before you drink or better just have wine with meals. And, if possible, skip your Met that day - if you know you'll be drinking in advance.

I don't think the odd few drinks hurt, but I would fall into the 'binge' drinking catagory as the breakdown of a relationship and stressful job made me ignore the warnings - especially as I'd always been ok before, sticking to the rules above. BUT this year I started to get very drunk, very easily - to the point where I would black out and not remember a thing the next day. I have always been able to handle my alcohol before, even in quite high quantities, but this was something else! I don't know if it was the medication or my bodies way of telling me to slow down - either way, I guess my point is enjoy yourself but listen to what you're body is telling you and see how you go.

x
Katie82

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes