Testing for Insulin Resistance

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Testing for Insulin Resistance

Postby fairycake » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 am

Hi

After years of trying to prove/find out that i had PCOS i recently had an internal scan which showed cysts on ovaries and the sonographer said in her opinion they were cystic ovaries. I then went back to the Endocrinologist and had to specifically ask him look do i have this condition or not!? he then said yes it was PCOS, although he skimmed over it, didnt talk any more about it.

Luckily i've researched it through my twenties and know all about it, ive read about insulin resistance and was very interested to hear about the connection to PCOS, ive heard some say that PCOS is caused by problems with Insulin.

So when I asked him could i be tested for Glucose/Insulin levels he said no we dont test for that, there's no tests. I said..actually there is (i was thinking im not stupid! youre not going to fob me off)

So i asked again mentioning the fasting glucose test, glucose tolerance tests. But he refused said no, we don't test for that and i left without getting any test for it. I don't feel this is fair, he said i didnt have any problems with insulin. Even though i told him i feel so lethargic and tired all the time.

But after reading about insulin and women on here describing how they feel, especially lately i feel worse than ever before years ago, my excess hair is becoming more excessive, i am so lethargic, and tired and depressed most days, i dont even go out, im becoming agraphobic. I can't stand it, somedays i cant even be bothered doing normal things like brushing my teeth, getting dressed and i have never been lazy.

I sleep for 10 hours most days but still feel so tired, and if i go without food, i get snappy, cranky and headaches, feel shaky, forgetful, confused, sometimes to the point i cant even get sentences out of my mouth! also sick and i HAVE to have food there and then. Then when i eat it i feel bloated and tired like i want to go and lie down again. Also i feel extreme mental confusion sometimes where i snap at my boyfriend before i can even stop myself.

I'm not imagining these things, its getting worse does it sound like insulin problems? should i not accept this and go to my own GP to request tests for my insulin/glucose?

what tests exactly should i be asking for?

also i am not overweight infact very slim. this is why my endocrinologist dismissed any insulin problems.

can anyone offer advice please?
fairycake

Postby Snaffles » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Fairycake,

Your post sounds exactly like me- infact I could have written it! I totally understand how you are feeling. I went to my GP's last year to get a repeat of my pill and mentioned that I felt constantly tired, lethargic to the point of not being able to concentrate on work or driving, had massive weight gain and so totally fed up. I was tested for a variety of things including blood glucose and thyroid. The thyroid tests came back ok, but I'm at the higher end of normal for glucose. On this basis the GP I saw said there was nothing they could do.

Went to see a diff GP in that practice and wrote down everything I could think of that I felt was wrong and took my Mum for support. She put me straight on Metformin and it has made a huge difference to my life. I feel mentally sharper and more alert, sleep for normal lengths of time and have bags of energy.

I guess the moral of the story is don't take no for an answer . What one medical "expert" thinks is not what another one might. I'd try going to your GP, they can easily do the test. Take a list of your symptoms/worries and tell them how it is for you. I don't think people can grasp how hard it is when you have no energy to even get dressed or do normal things. It's especially hard when everyone says you're OK and you know that you're not.

Good luck I hope you get some answers and the help you deserve.

Sarah
Snaffles

Postby mommywannabe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi Ladies

I am really new to Verity only got my membership yesterday. YAY! I was just reading your stories and I feel that I could have written them both.

When I was first diagnosed I was just told to loose weight. Nothing explained at all.

Then when I moved I went to a new doctor and they prescribed me a drug called Orlistat and once again told to loose weight. But didn't explain how best to go about it with my condition.

Despite trying really hard to loose weight I had to face my wedding day at pretty much the heaviest I have ever been (not what I had dreamed of).

Finally I have had enough and started researching more and discovered about IR and how to combat it.

I think I am defo going to go back to my doc and demand that I am tested for IR and that if possible I am put on Metformin to help.

My mom (who lives in SA) has been an absolute star - researching all the time.

I am so so glad that I have found Verity.
mommywannabe

Postby Katie82 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi guys

I feel the same too! I am having the most horrible year, where I have had to stop going out, exercising and even doing my job. There are days when I just can't get out of bed, I am so tired and disorientated, it's awful - so you have my full sympathy.

My doctor is being no help. I finally got them to do a GTT and have found I have very low blood sugar, which I think is an indicator of IR - however, after seeing my gyno and an endo today they told me to come off metformin (and ignored my pleas that I will feel worse), as this could be causing it!

I have done A LOT of research over the years and know there is a link between IR and PCOS, yet the consultants I saw today refused to even recognise it - and that my tiredness, nausea, etc was nothing to do with PCOS, (which is worse when i'm off the met) Does this not tell them that I may have IR or been IR all along.

I felt the hospital in tears because I am so depressed I don't know what to do. I really don't want to come off Met, but have no choice - because they won't test me for IR 9again) until I stop the medication.

It sounds like we're all suffering the same thing!!!! Let me know if you find anything that helps. I'm willing to try anything!
Katie82

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes