Metformin + Breakfast

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Metformin + Breakfast

Postby icklekitty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:56 am

I start Met today, and was wondering what a good breakfast to take Met with is?

I usually have a smoothie - is this enough to cushion the Met? My nan always used to take hers without eating properly, and then feel really faint afterwards, so I want to make sure I have something substantial with it.

Are there any other food/eating related things i should/should not make sure of when I'm taking it?
icklekitty
Local Group Leader

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:21 am

i m having my with soya & linseed bread then a apple that will be fine
FIREFIGHTER

Postby Blainey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:27 am

I have porridge which is low GI and fills you up.

Although smoothies are lovely, I am not sure if they are low GI. I think the process of blending the fruit would make it easier to pass through the body.

Blainey.
TTC Aug 05, Diagnosed Nov 05,
Met 1500mg
IUI 18/9/08 - BFN 3/10.
IUI abandoned 3/11 - ovulated too soon.
IUI 18/2/09 - BFN
IUI 8/5/09 - test date 25/5. BFP !!!!!!!!
My gorgeous boy Noah born 17.1.2010
Blainey

Postby LittleDot » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi

Although you may not be taking metformin for diabetes, the diabetes uk website has a lot of advice on food so it might be worth taking a look. I know low GI foods are good like Blainey said. These should stop you feeling faint. I have branflakes or egg on granary toast.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... our_meals/

Dot
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Postby cath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Just thought I would say that I tried taking my met with just some fruit salad once. I felt so ill afterwards I have never ever done it again. I find some toast is enough to be fine for the met. Its very much a case of seeing what works for you though. I always take mine in the middle or end of the meal and usually with a good drink of water.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
cath

Postby Sophie:-) » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:22 pm

To be honest, I think it depends a bit on the person - I find that If I take met with fruit salad I'm okay - but then I'll eat huuuuge amounts of fruit and maybe include a bananna or chuck some natural yoghurt on top. Though I think I do tolerate metformin relatively well - others struggle a little more.

Smoothies are not the best breakfast, I have to say - they have a high GI cos the fruit is all mashed up, and chances are theyll leave you feeling hungry in a couple of hours time. Porridge, musili or soya and linseed toast are all pretty good options GIwise, and you can maybe have a piece of fruit with it?

I know its more effort, but eating the whole fruit is definitely better for you than juice or smoothies x x x
Sophie:-)

Postby Constance » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:59 pm

I'm confused - don't we take Metformin to be able to eat normally and not worry about blood sugar? My doctor never mentioned anything about diet??? :?
Constance

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes