GTT test?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

GTT test?

Postby Nikkig » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Hello,
Hope someone can help?
I went to the dr, as mentioned on other threads and thought she had listened and understood ...
I said I thought I might have insulin resistance and requested a GTT test to check and she said that would be ok, booked me in for bloods etc.
I rang the surgery later to check whether the hour and 15mins I had left between blood test and next appointment elsewhere would be long enough (thinking maybe the glucose takes some time before they take the blood?) and the girl said I was actually having a fasting glucose test, and that no drinks would be given and that that its a different test where they actually prescribe something for you to drink before the test.
So I went in and they just took blood, took about 5 seconds (so hour and 15mins was plenty!) and that was that. They will let me know if anything is wrong.
Is this right or have I been "cheated" out of the test I actually requested? Is the one I had any use in detecting insulin resistance?

Thank you!!
Nikki.

PS made me RAVENOUSLY hungry the moment I had to start my 14-hour fast before the test, I wanted to eat EVERYTHING!!! LOL
Nikkig

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:18 pm

:evil:
FIREFIGHTER

Postby mandie82 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:17 am

Im going for the same blood test next week, and my doctors said i had to fast for 12 hours before the test to get a true reading, so i cant eat from 9pm untill i have it as they will look at how your body copes with the insulin..

huumm strange that they said an hour was good enough to be honest.

I would wait for the results and then possibly go for another one?
mandie82

Postby Premila » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:00 am

Ladies,

I had severl GTTs during both my pregnancys so here is what they involve.

You don't have anything to eat or drink from 9pm the night before. You go in at around 9ish and have blood tests and straight after that test you have a glucose drink they make up for you.

You then have to stay there for 2 hours (can't leave or move around too much as affects the test).

You then have another blood test.

The principle is that they want to see how much glucose is in your blood after fasting (when it should be at it's lowest) and then they want to see how your body reacts 2 hours after having a specific amount of glucose.

Before glucose they expect the reading to be less than 7 and less than 7.8 after 2 hours otherwise you are likely to have some level of glucose intolerance

Hope that helps
Premila
Verity Trustee

Postby mandie82 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:19 am

huumm.. my doctors never said i woudl have to wait around for 2 hours for mine??

They must all do it differently i suppose!
mandie82

Postby Nikkig » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:43 am

oh, :(
So the test won't really tell me what I want to know!
Its like banging your head against a brick wall...
Saying that I crashed car on Sunday night and although didn't bang my head against anything it does make you feel like things could be a lot worse!
Not that its a picnic or anything.
Life hey?! :?
Nikkig

Postby Miffy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:01 am

it will depend on what other blood tests you had done as well - if any? My doctor didn't do the GTT for me when they were meant to either but my endocrinologist still managed to diagnose my insulin resistance based on a combination of things - the way I was reacting on metformin, my normal insulin reading and the one that seemed to confirm it for him was my cholesterol readings - especially the level of my good cholesterol level apparently. No idea how it relates but on the basis that metformin is working for me and I feel really rough if I come off it now he seems to have definitely got it right

hope that helps
Miffy

Postby mandie82 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:45 am

I suppose Nikki we will have to see what happens, and then compare afterwards :D :D
mandie82

Postby Nikkig » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:59 am

Hi Mandy,

If you google "lab tests on line glucose" as I've just done, it does give some info on the different types of GTT tests. Apparently one is oral with a sugary drink and the other just a blood test as I have had...
Yes, please let me know how you get on, and I will if I hear as apparently they only contact you if there is a problem!

PS eat all you can before you fast it gave me a perverse urge to EAT EAT EAT!!

Thanks for all other replies as well x
Nikkig

Postby ladyblues » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:43 pm

A fasting glucose test involves only one blood test. I just had mine down on the 29th of july.

I had a late appointment at 12 noon but I would suggest that you make one for around 9am so afterwards you can go home and have some brekkie...cause you dont want to end up starving

Aslong as there is 10 hours from the last thing you eat/drink (apart from water) until your appointment time i, then that is fine and usually your results are back within a week.

The other test people might have mentioned is a glucose tolerance test and thats where you are given one blood test before having to drink lucozade (although some hospitals/doctors give a sweet orange drink). You then go away for 2 hours and come back to have your bloods re-done

Good luck
ladyblues

gtt

Postby theresa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:24 pm

i had a gtt 2 months ago as part of a clinical trial.

the trial is for pcos and vicaral fats.

the lady conducting the trial is looking for volanteers with pcos

it was conducted at the uhw.

contact me for more detais.
theresa

Re: gtt

Postby mandie82 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:49 pm

theresa wrote:i had a gtt 2 months ago as part of a clinical trial.

the trial is for pcos and vicaral fats.

the lady conducting the trial is looking for volanteers with pcos

it was conducted at the uhw.

contact me for more detais.

Hi Therea

Are they only doing it at UHW??? and looking for people locally??

thanks
mandie82

Postby theresa » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:12 pm

yes only here i belive. sorry but i could pass on the doctors number
theresa

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes