insulin resistance and urinary tract infections?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

insulin resistance and urinary tract infections?

Postby mazz » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi all

I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and am wondering if I also have insulin resistance. I am underweight, find it really hard to put on weight, get very light headed if I go too long without food. I also get occasional urinary tract infections (which I thought was a completely unrelated problem) and I just came across something on the glycemic index website which suggests a link between high glucose levels and urinary tract infections. Does anyone else get these, who also has IR or diabetes? Or does anyone get them but not have IR?

cheers
Mazz
mazz

Postby LittleDot » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Oh yes urinary tract infections (UTIs) and diabetes. I had a nightmare few moths with UTIs. Just could not get rid of them. Every few weeks I'd be at the docs for antibiotics. If diabetes is poorly controlled and sugar gets in urine then the sugar feeds the infection making it harder to clear up. It took me ages even thou my sugar was controlled only the slightest trace of sugar would set them off. Fortunately I've got rid of the horrid little bugs now cos they've got no sugar to feed off.
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Postby fairytale » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:44 pm

UTI symptoms can be reduced by eating cranberries (but avoid cranberry juice drink which has loads of sugar in it).

Holland and Barrett sell Cranberry "tablets" just for this.
PCOS and hypothyroid diagnosed Sept 2006
On Metformin 1500mg and levothyroxine 125mcg
fairytale

Cranberry

Postby CreativeForce » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:33 am

I swear by cranberry extract tablets or capsules and as soon as I feel any tiny bit of cystitis coming on I take about 7 of 'em and it does the trick. Be careful to get the right sort of tablets or capsules though because some of them have sugar in which is no good as the bacteria will love it.

Barley water is also good but you would probably be better off making it from scratch as the commercial kind has loads of sugar in.
CreativeForce

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes