Newly Diagnosed diabetic

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Newly Diagnosed diabetic

Postby jenna1976 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:29 pm

Oh my gosh ladies. I have now been diagnosed with pcos and now diabetes. I am not sleeping very well. I dont know what to do. I am seeing the diabetic nurse next week. I am constantly hot anyone got any suggestions
jenna1976

Postby ladyblues » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:12 pm

aww big hug for you hun...

have they started you on any medication? Diet is said to play a huge role in treating diabetes especially for woman with pcos so maybe that would be a good starting point

to prepare yourself for the diabetes clinic why not write down any concerns/worries/questions that you may have and I am sure the nurse/doc will be more than happy to answer then as best as you can

To keep you feeling cool, make sure the house is well ventilated, open windows and maybe invest in a tower fan for the main rooms of the house, a cool flannel on your forehead will also give relief from the heat. Keep drinking plenty fluids especially water

Take care hun
ladyblues

Postby jenna1976 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:01 pm

Thank you Ladyblues.

I dont actually know what type I have but my sugars where really high. I am already on metformin.
jenna1976

Postby ladyblues » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi jenna,

I would imagine that it is type 2 diabetes hun, just with you saying your sugar levels are really high and with you having pcos too

Its good that your on metformin, they may increase your dose but for now I would suggest really working on your diet. I know its not that easy (I am struggling with my weight sooo much :oops: ) but every pound lost helps. I dont know if you follow a certain diet but low GI is said to be good....

Chromium is a vitamin/supplement that is said to be good to help balance insulin levels but am not sure if its safe to take with metformin so you would maybe need to check that one out

Keep intouch hun and let me know how your doing

Lx
ladyblues

Postby jenna1976 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:55 am

Hi again Ladyblue. I will keep in touch and I am seeing the diabetic clinic on wednesday. I will let you know how I get on.
jenna1976

Postby ladyblues » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 am

Good luck for wednesday hun

Sorry I cant be much more help

Take care and let me know how it goes

Lx
ladyblues

Postby jenna1976 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:11 pm

You have been some help and thank you.

I will have to eat the right foods and keep healthy.

I am also going to see the gym.
jenna1976

Postby LittleDot » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi Jenna,

Yes it's type 2 (type 1 usually happens in childhood and you go straight on to insulin injections). This site may help you: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/

All the best

Dot
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Postby jenna1976 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:11 pm

how can you diagnose me I have not even seen the diabetic clinic yet. I am not even on the insulin so it may be just diet controlled. I will know more on wednesday as I am going to the clinic then

Thank you for the information.
jenna1976

Postby Annoldie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi Jenna, I have Type 2 diabetes. I agree with the others. Type 1 diabetes tends to come on very quickly and it is unlikely that you would have been left for several days without treatment. It does tend to affect younger people and often children. It is Insulin dependant and you would have needed that treatment pretty quickly. You may well be advised to continue with your healthy diet taking extra care about sugar, have your Metformin increased to 850mg 3 times a day and be shown how to check your own blood sugar. I was sent to get my feet and eyes checked. Type 2 diabetes is the one most commonly associated with pcos. Once the nurse has got you sorted out you will soon feel much better and be confident in coping with it - try not to worry. Hugs Ann.
Annoldie

Postby jenna1976 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:42 am

i dont know which type i have and i will let the doctor tell me which one. I dont like people labelling me.

I will keep you all posted

Sorry if i am ranting at you had a bad nights sleep.
jenna1976

Postby Annoldie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:19 am

Sorry Jenna, just trying to help. Good luck for tomorrow. Ann
Annoldie

Postby jenna1976 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 pm

Anna I want to say sorry because I felt like I was having a go at you and all you was doing is trying to help me.
jenna1976

Postby LittleDot » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:08 pm

Was only trying to help Jenna and it is not you personally that it labels it's the illness that has the label. If you had type 1 you would not be on metformin you would be immediately on insulin injections. The advice was not intended to offend you (the professionals will diagnose you properly when you go to the clinic).

All the very best and hope your sugar levels will be back on track quickly.

Dot
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Postby jenna1976 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:40 pm

Littledot I am sorry if I ranted at you. The other week. I have type 2 diabetes and I just want to thank you all for you help.

Please I dont want to upset anyone.
jenna1976

Next

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes