Brown skin patches

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby AmyD » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:00 pm

this is interesting because i had a mark appear behind one of my knees when i was an early teen - wonder if it was PCOS that brought it one.

Seems to be a good number of answers so far to suggest so even if its not proven
AmyD

My daughter has developed brown marks?

Postby Ruby2shoes » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi
I have been reading your posts with interest as my 20 year old daughter has suddenly developed brown marks on her neck that look like birth marks.
I know they are not. We have made a doctors appointment for next Monday. I will keep you informed.
Ruby2shoes

Postby Annoldie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:36 pm

It really does seem to be a fairly common symptom of PCOS and is mentioned in quite a number of books about pcos. As Jewel says on the previous page , it's called Acantus Nigrans. Non of the books suggest any treatment except covering it with make up if it bothers you. Mine started to fade after the menopause. Ruby, does your daughter have PCOS?
Annoldie

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm

I think its meant to b a sign of insulin resistant, I'm not sure.
FIREFIGHTER

Postby Annoldie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:34 pm

Sorry, spelling mistake. Should read Acanthosis Nigricans ( I think the other is a garden plant!)
Annoldie

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:46 pm

I know what u meant sweetie.
My brother is a doctor he doesn't specialize in pcos he majored in plastics a surgeon. He commented that I had this n asked me to show the drs at endo they said I shouldt b concerned bcause it was mild. Anyhow I have tried with all the meds n nothing has done anything I think the only tab that helped was xencial. I am not taking any tabs anymore, I am just gonna think about me n myslf n I I am just tired of doing this now.
FIREFIGHTER

Postby oddoneout » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:50 pm

I have this under my arms (only just realised with was because of PCOS). I also get tiny spots on my neck, but I think this is unrelated as my GP said to use thrush cream for it and it clears up a treat.
oddoneout

Postby Nephtys » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:46 am

I have got it on the back of my neck and underarms, have tried various lotions but nothing really seems to help. Has anyone found anything that has helped them?
Nephtys x
Nephtys

Postby PixieChick » Thu May 27, 2010 8:53 am

I have this too and when I saw a dermatologist to get a skin tag removed, she took one look at me and said 'you've got PCOS'...it's on my armpits, neck and the insides of my thighs. The skin has a different softer feel..almost velvety.

On the my thighs it's a lot darker and nearly ended up in my Hubby being arrested in A&E a few years ago...I was rushed in when I had a massive cyst that burst and the consultant thought my hubby had done something to put me in so much pain because he thought it was bruising ...eejit :roll:
PixieChick

Postby Lamb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:16 pm

I've got a horizontal mark between my boobs which looks like my bra has been on too tightly :( Had it for about 18 months and it seems to fade a little and then come back all the time. I've also got marks on the creases at the top of my legs and under one of my arms. Never had any of them until about 3 years ago maximum which is about a year after I started piling on the extra 3 stone and missing periods.. Grr poxy hormones :twisted:
Diagnosed PCOS - Apr 09
Supplements: Omega 3 Oils, multivitamin /mineral
Holistic Support: Indian Herbs
BMI: TBC Weight: TBC
Mummy to baby Harrison born 13-1-2012!
*******STAY POSITIVE*******
Lamb

Postby PixieChick » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 pm

<looks under boobs> ....yup, is darker there as well :?
PixieChick

Postby Constance » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:24 pm

This is very interesting. I have a very white skin with quite a few brown birth marks and I get freckles on my arms in the summer only. This spring I notices a group of freckles just down from my bikini line hair - definitely not due to sunshine as the winter was rather cold in London... :) Bit annoying as it looks like it's dirty or some hair is left over there...
M/C Jan 2008
Diagnosed PCOS Apr 2008
Baby boy born on 25/06/09
M/C Jan 2012
Baby boy born on 31/05/13

ImageImage

ImageImage

Constance

Brown skin patches

Postby Bubbly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:59 pm

I have a brown patch under my boob. Thanks to this post, only now I got to know this was related to PCOS. No one seems to know if there is cure.
Bubbly

Postby Constance » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:21 am

My freckes are almost gone now, but I do have new big ones on my neck. I was tested in August for IR and I'm not even close, so I'm not sure what causes these???
M/C Jan 2008
Diagnosed PCOS Apr 2008
Baby boy born on 25/06/09
M/C Jan 2012
Baby boy born on 31/05/13

ImageImage

ImageImage

Constance

Postby miracle19 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:45 pm

I have two patches near my armpits both sides and thought my previous bras had been too tight nad caused brusies but they never hurt...i know i sound stupid when i say it. I seem to get dark patches on my elbows etc...is this the same of something else. people are always commenting on me having bruises but they aren't that as don't hurt and always there. Tried lotions to soften skin etc...but never worked.
TTC baby number 2 since 2007
10 cycles of Clomid DIDN'T WORK.
Ovarian Drilling DONE 17th May 2012....
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes Aug 2013
5 natural cycles since then...
27.1.14 BFP!!!!!!! oh my god! DUE DATE 3.10.14 IT'S A BOY!!
NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!
BABY BOY JOSHUA STEPHEN BORN 25.9.14 WEIGHING 8lb 1oz

http://swlm.lilyslim.com/TikiPic.php/DyDFRg7.jpg
The ticker URL:
http://swlm.lilyslim.com/DyDFp1.png

miracle19

PreviousNext

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes