Brown skin patches

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Brown skin patches

Postby EmilyJ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if any had any advice or experience of having brown skin patches as I understand they are related to pcos/insulin resistance. I was in a clothes shop today just trying on a top and had by hair up and looked at my back in the mirror and noticed my neck was dirty brown, I have some brown patches underneath my breasts but it appears to now be on my neck. I am so upset and was wondering if anyone had any advice apart from the usual diet, taking metformin etc x
EmilyJ

Postby ELIZABETHLEO5 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi yes I too have darker skin patches, it is usually a sign of Insulin Resitance, which I have just been diagnosed with following blood tests with an endocrinologist. I am just in the process of trying to find a new diet plan low GI/GL foods to reduce my risk of type 2 diabetes and hopefully help myself. I am only 7s 10p-8s on average but carry all my fat around my middle because of this.
I have dark skin under my arms near armpits and my groin and neck look darker, in fact I have always been very pale and now people ie my mom say how olive skinned or yellow I look (on a bad day).
I have just been doing research and it is possible to reduce or reverse IR so if you look into the diets etc maybe you can find some advice. There are some good books apparently if you do a search.
Hope that helps a little
Hugs Eli xx
ELIZABETHLEO5

Postby jewel » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:28 pm

It is called Acanthosis Nigricans. One of the wonderful pcos symptoms i have. I have it on my neck, pits and thighs. My endocrinologist is aware I have it but hasnt come up with any solutions so I'm not aware of anything that you can do for it, but have noticed that it is not quite so brown and velvety as i've got older. (something to look forward to?)

Jewel
jewel

Me too!

Postby Pho » Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 am

A large brown patch appeared on my leg about a year and a half ago and hasn't changed since. I went to the doctors about it but they had no idea what it was so have just put up with it. I am recently diagnosed with PCOS, do you think I should be tested for glucose intolerance if this is a symptom?
Pho

Postby Annoldie » Wed May 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Thats interesting Jewel, I had patches in all the usual places and a very large area on my inner thighs - they have all faded and more or less disappeared in the last 5yrs. - Welcome back! Pho, I think if you have symptoms of IR you should be tested. It's a fairly expensive test but then so is treating diabetes. You can help to control IR if you know that you have it, and help to keep diabetes at bay.
Annoldie

Postby TigerLily » Wed May 20, 2009 6:57 pm

I've had it for years and wasn't sure why, under boobs and inner thigh.
I'm hoping it'll fade now I'm on metformin and gi.
TigerLily
Local Group Leader

Postby Pho » Thu May 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Ann. I might ask next time I see my GP.
Pho

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Thu May 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Were anyone on the pill if so it's a side effect from that bcause wen u have been in the sun for a long time that's wen u get the brown patches from.
FIREFIGHTER

Postby jewel » Fri May 22, 2009 1:20 am

No I wasnt on the pill, besides which the areas that go brown, under boobs, armpits inner thighs etc I don't often get out in the sun!
jewel

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Fri May 22, 2009 8:08 am

Ok bcause I had the brown patches in my mouth n the doc n the dentist said the pill did this. I was in egypt n u know it's heat anyway I was in the sun all the time wen I was going out n wen I came back I think this was like couple of months after I had this in my mouth so I knew but I wanted to make sure it was the pill that did it. Which it was anyway I don't have IR touch wood but if u do what has the doc say? Or have they been stupid again?
Good luck jewel n everybody.
FIREFIGHTER

Postby Pho » Fri May 22, 2009 9:13 am

I was last on the pill 3 or 4 years ago so I don't think it's related to that. Also, my brown patch appeared in the year that I didn't go on holiday abroad.

Are your dark patches over sensitive/ sore?
Pho

Postby LittleDot » Sun May 24, 2009 9:39 am

Do these brown patches resemble birth marks? I've always had a large birth mark on the back of my neck and a large speckled birth mark on the back of my thigh. Had them ever since I was a child (or so I think - the one on my neck my mom noticed when I had all my long hair cut off into a bob style - I was ten) so just presumed they were birth marks.
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Postby LATINA30 » Sun May 24, 2009 5:10 pm

I have dark skin under my arms, in my groin etc but also have a wopping patch accross my stomach/back which is more noticable when i get a tan, i was told it was a 'cafe au lait' birth mark~similar to asian blue spot, but now i am beginning to wonder!
LATINA30

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Sun May 24, 2009 7:47 pm

My nepfew has these blue spots he's mixed race. African n yorkshire mix but very cute :D my little munckin. my parents have 7 grandchildren from 3 boys.
FIREFIGHTER

Postby Pho » Tue May 26, 2009 7:03 am

Definately not a birth mark. It just appeared overnight about 18 months ago. It's about 5cm x 5cm on my left shin. GP can't work out what it is, have used various creams but nothing seems to work.
Pho

Next

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes