Symptoms of Insulin Resistance?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby celandine » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:25 pm

Over 7 is not good miffy! :?
You are going to have to be strict with yourself and not have sugary things like peanut bars and ribena! Celandine tells miffy off :wink: :lol:
Those levels are pre diabetic levels i think and over 11 would be diabeties.
When you go out pack some snacks like banana, oat biscuits etc so you are not caught out.
Sometimes we crave the things that are harming us. Maybe change your sugar for maple syrup or honey a bit better. Also take the testing machine to see the nurse as you can show them the levels. And really push for a dietician as they will have lots of good ideas for recipes etc.
Sometimes my level has been 6.5 and i totally avoid sugar so i expect mine would be higher if i had sugary drinks etc.
I was always craving and eating things like french fancies, chips, pizza etc. Things that would have been raising my levels. Though of course sometimes you will need something like glucose tablet if the level goes to low.
Hope that helps
celandine

Postby Miffy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 pm

ok - I think yesterday must have been some strange blip

Last night I took my level 2 hours after I had beans on toast for dinner and took my metformin and it was only 5.4

Today has been a lot better..

First thing this morning before eating anything = 4.3

2 1/4 hours after breakfast (weetabix with skimmed milk and a small amount of sugar to take the edge off the blandness) = 4.2

Just before lunch so about 4 1/2 hours after breakfast = 4.7

It's interesting seeing the readings - I remembered to take my reading this morning when I was out because I started to get really really hungry and was thinking that weetabix must be fast burning and not that good - when I took the reading I realised that it is probably just my body re-adjusting and that although I felt hungry I actually didn't need to eat because my glucose level was fine - and the reading just before lunch backs that up as well. Without taking it I would have probably found something to eat and convinced myself I needed food when in reality I was fine without it. What I don't get though is why my reading goes UP when I haven't eaten? Very strange.

I'm not going to take any more readings today - its only my middle fingers that seem to bleed enough for the reading and they are both sore now! :lol:

My doctors surgery rang me back yesterday and said rather than me discussing the position with the nurse my doctor would like to see me to discuss it. Which is annoying - whenever I see her it is like this big battle where I ask her to treat me and she makes me feel like a fat hypochondriac who's wasting her time. I can't wait :lol: I'm hoping she'll tell me what levels I should normally be aiming at staying within and although I'm guessing my 4.3 reading in the morning means I could have gone ahead and exercised before eating breakfast I want to check with her that I'm right and I don't need to eat first and stuff like that. Also she should be able to tell me when I should test myself and how often etc to get some averages and learn how I'm reacting to foods etc. And with any luck she'll agree to give me the prescription for some more test strips because I'm already down to only 9 left after the 2 that didn't work and had to be dumped.
Miffy

Postby celandine » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi miffy,
glad its calmed down obviously weetabix suit you!
The reason your levels go up when you have not eaten is because your pancreas which releases insulin into the blood has to work even harder to keep within normal blood sugar levels when you have had nothing to eat. This is why when you are insulin resistant the pancreas can keep the blood sugar mainly level but it is whacked out trying to do it! Hence why it is recommended to eat little meals and often and low GI. Diabetes happen when the pancreas gets totally ehausted and gives up putting out the insulin.
My cousin sadly had diabetes from alcohol abuse. (all that sugar in the booze) and because he carried on drinking he now has brain damage from the diabetes as he was not controlling it properly with diet and injections and he is in care now at 40. (hope not to depressing, i was just thinking of him when i was writing about the pancreas)
When is your appointment with the GP?
I have my appointment at the Diabetic center/endocrinologist for the dietitian. Though i have not been diagnosed as IR so a bit surprised at that!
celandine

Postby Miffy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:05 am

I've got an appointment with the GP on Friday afternoon. I've got a few questions I need to ask her - firstly what level should I be aiming at keeping the levels. Some foods it stays down around 4.9 but other meals it is 5.9 - oddly its the low GI type meals that have the higher reading. I'm not sure which one is better.

Plus I want to know how low is too low - especially first thing in the morning when I want to exercise before I eat.

The only other one I want to check with her is my reading this morning. I woke up feeling a bit sick so instead of just assuming it was the metformin I did a test again - I was down to 3.9 which I know is at a level that I need to bring it back up. I didn't have a lot in the house as I'm going shopping today but I discovered that slimfast bars bring you up to 5.0 within an hour!! I dread to think how much hidden sugar is in that thing then. What's also interesting is that I wasn't shaky at that level but just felt slightly off - so I dread to think what the reading was when I used to start shaking and feel so sick I'd be retching!!!

I don't think I'm going to learn that much from doing my own glucose tests because as you say with insulin resistance my body will work hard to keep it at the right level anyway - but its been interesting for me to see what the readings are at certain points and it might well help me understand the little subtle signals my body sends me.

Good luck with your appointment - being referred to a decent endocrinologist is the best thing that happened for me so hopefully you'll find the same.
Miffy

Postby Buggity » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:37 pm

I think you guys have just solved the medical enigma which is me... I keep having dizzy spells where I get very anxious and confused and it feels like my legs and hands have gone on vacation without telling me and I fall over... Neurologist could never find anything wrong and with the fact I have a lot of girth around my belly and it takes a lot to loose it...

I always thought it was related to my accident 3 years ago but it looks more like it could be this as all my symptoms have been listed here!

Right... where's the doctors number? Thank you guys, I think you may have just made me a much happier little bunny!!!

Love- Jen
Buggity

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:26 pm

here it is
www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/insulin.htm -

this list the symptoms of IR

nee

x
FIREFIGHTER

Previous

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes