Mums got diabeties will I have it too?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Mums got diabeties will I have it too?

Postby aman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:59 pm

When i got diagnosed with PCOS I had not idea about diabetes been involved.Endo said first I had to sort out my periods to get regular and more frequant ovulation,loose weight and get healthier,
When im ready for children they'l help with concieving and keeping!

Then later on in life prevent me from getting diabetes!

because my mums got it does that mean i'l definatly have it.my takes insulin injections.she's sick a lot and getts bad migraines.her eyesights getting worse.

Is al this gunna happen to me!!
aman

Postby Annoldie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi Aman, not necessarily. You are more at risk if one of your parents have diabetes and if you have pcos but you can reduce that risk by keeping your weight down and eating healthy food, ie keeping your sugar intake down and eating slow release carbohydrates. Getting plenty of exercise also helps. My father and grandma both had type 11 diabetes and I have pcos but I didn't get diabetes until I was 68. By the time you are my age who knows with stem cell research we may have a cure for diabetes. I think it would be sensible to keep yourself as healthy as possible and get your GP to check you out from time to time. Type 1 diabetes has a different cause and can occur after an infection theres not much you can do about it, but it can be better controlled now and treatment is improving all the time. Hope this helps. Ann
Annoldie

Postby aman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:52 pm

thanks annoldie.its a constent worry because it's never actually clear wheather pcos is inherited.I find the text on pcos is oftem left open.ive started the gi diet and trying to get out ofr joggs and walks when the weather's nice which isnt ften.what is the diff in type 1 and 2 diabeties.my mum has type 2?
aman

Postby Annoldie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:25 pm

It sounds as though you have made a good start with your low GI diet and exercise - are you feeling any better? Type 1 diabetes tends to start in childhood and needs treatment with Insulin. Type 2 used to be called maturity onset diabetes ,but because of the increase in obesity it is now being seen in much younger people. It can usually be controlled with diet, tablets and sometimes insulin. There is a lot of evidence that PCOS is inherited but there may be other causes. It may be inherited from either the female or male side of the family and seems to be connected to the gene that causes type 2 diabetes. The BMA publish a little book for about £3- 50 in the Family Doctor series. It,s available from many chemist shops. It might help you to understand your mothers problems and help you to support her. Hope this helps. Ann
Annoldie

Postby anniec86 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks for this thread - my worries exactly.
My mum has type 2 diabeties, and ALL my mum's sisters above 40, nan also had it. One of my cousins also has PCOS - think it's on the female gene in the family :cry:
I have tried with diet, but I just can never stick with it (I'm a young teacher, and very busy. I would choose the healthy option but the unhealthier option is always so much faster to make! :( )
I'll keep on trying though....Thanks for giving me some faith that I won't neccessarily get diabeties!
anniec86

Postby Annoldie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 pm

I went to the Verity conference just over a week ago - it is pretty certain now that pcos is genetic. Annie with your family history, diet and keeping your weight down is really important. Once you get the hang of it there are lots of quick healthy options and it's much easier than coping with diabetes. Have a look at the Healthy eating and weight loss thread for some ideas. I was lucky in some ways because I was 15 before war time rationing came to an end and it was a long time after that before junk food was on the shop shelves so I have always had a pretty healthy diet - I still put the weight on!
Annoldie

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes