Why haven't I been prescribed Metformin?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Why haven't I been prescribed Metformin?

Postby madmalteaser » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:10 pm

I've just been talking to a friend who was diagnosed with mild PCOS late last year. She was prescribed Metformin and not given the pill and found out this week that the cysts on her ovaries are gone!

I've had severe PCOS for over 10 years now - the first time I was diagnosed at 17 I was told I have "moles" on my ovaries and put on the pill but never really told why. The second time I went to see a gynae, she prescribed the pill as well as Metformin because (her words) "I was fat and needed to lose weight". And more recently the half-decent consultant I thought I had put me on the pill along with cyproterone acetate for the hair on my face and told me to try to lose weight. At no point did he mention Metformin and my last visit with him he told me I didn't need to see him again - so I'm supposed to just keep taking the pill and cyp acetate for the rest of my life? What about the fact that I cannot seem to shed the weight? I've been on a very healthy diet since last November and have lost about 10lbs but can't seem to shift anymore.

I'm at my wits end. It just seems like each consultant I see has a different version of what's wrong with me and a different way of treating it and I feel like no one actually knows what they're doing anymore. If taking Metformin can have such a profound effect on my friend, why has no one told me more about this before?!?!?!
madmalteaser

Postby aman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:06 pm

hay madmalteaser I fount my endo to be reluctant to giving me metformin.He wants me to stay on dianette for another year and "see how it goes"

He prity much said that I need to loose more weight before he put me on metformin!!

Although he's awear ive been trying too loose wieght and it aint coming off.

Metformin is apparently suposed to ahve an impact on loosin weight.my mum takes it for her diabeties but she's not lost an ounce!

I feel for you coz its like you've been passed around the houses.I think these doc forgett we're people!You read diff articles and each one says diff thing about pcos.I dnt think they know themselves how to sort it!

HOPE YOU GET IT SORTED.DNT GIVE UP!GOOD LUCK
aman

Postby madmalteaser » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Thank you for the kind words aman. I do sometimes feel like giving up, especially when I seem to keep getting pushed from pillar to post. I've decided to go back and see my GP soon though (after I get back off hols) and see what else I can do. Fingers crossed I actually get some proper help this time!
madmalteaser

Postby Annoldie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi Malteaser, I think cysts on the ovaries can come and go with or without Metformin. Weight is difficult to lose if you have pcos and are Insulin Resistant. Metformin is given to level out your blood sugar and help your weight loss. Can you increase your exercise as well as sticking with your healthy diet? It might help to do some reading up about pcos and Insulin Resistance, it does take a bit of getting your head round, then go back to see your GP and talk to him about Metformin. Ann
Annoldie

I hear you!

Postby AngelosMom » Sat May 24, 2008 6:37 am

Malteaser-

I hear you! I feel like no one takes me seriously half the time which doesn't help with things. I ahve been struggling for years with the PCOS symptoms and have just finally fought enough to get referred to an endocrinologist. But, I sympathize with you. I have done the low-carb and exercising and the weight still doesn't come off or I work by butt off an lose one pound in a month and then weight again a month later and have gained five pounds. One problem is my current GP is a pill-pusher and has me on five meds, one of which I just stopped taking in preparation for my endo visit since it supposedly was an anti-androgen medication...however I can still grow a beard and have tons of hair everywhere...hmm... But, I am also hoping to be prescribed something to assist with my insulin resistance because low carb eating and exericse don't always do the trick. I just wanted to add my two cents and let you know I know where you're coming from.

Vanessa :D
AngelosMom

hang in there

Postby demeter london » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:56 am

Totally feel what you are saying, I came off the pill long long time ago, it wasnt for me, one of the side effects of contraceptive pills is weight gain.

I know people can get somewhere without all that stuff, because i did.

I wish there was better nutritional and gym support for poly sisters i know the insulin resistance diet makes a big difference. I depise the system for making money out of pushing pills onto people regardless of their wants and needs.

does wheat or milk swell you up?

best wishes demeter
demeter london

cost of pills

Postby demeter london » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:16 am

pharmacist should be able to say how much the

pills cost , i.e how much the ones are you are on as opposed to the ones you want to be on.

Years ago, i discovered that I was being denied x,y,z because i was more expensive for them , they would rather push the cheaper ones onto me. THe sad reality that there are incentives, and bonuses for pushing certain brands. Im so glad i left that world. It was toxic for me.

demeter
demeter london

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes