Just checking - is this insulin resistance?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Just checking - is this insulin resistance?

Postby Platinum » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:07 am

Hi guys

Won't go in to my whole history, but in short, I have PCOS, been on Metformin (3x500mg) for two years, TTC, starting 4th cycle of Clomid (50mg), BMI 24 so not particularly overweight.

I've had IR before (never tested with a GTT but self-diagnosed and contributed to me being put on Metformin) - that was about 3 years ago. I get the occasional 'bad' day, normally the morning after a late meal and a few glasses of wine, but apart from having to eat regularly, it has generally been in control.

Three days ago it came back with a vengeance, and I just wanted a sanity check from people, to reassure me that it IS IR and not something else that I ought to get checked out.

Symptoms:
* Feeling of extreme hunger, like my whole solar plexus is imploding
* Needing to eat at least every two hours - EXTREME need
* Wobbly, shaky, unable to think or see clearly when in need of food
* Not feeling satisfied when I've eaten - could keep on eating endlessly
* Waking up feeling sick in the night, and ravenous first thing in the morning
* Headaches
* Lethargy, irritability

My gut feeling is that it's IR and I haven't suddenly become diabetic. But I'm also aware that I've not had my bloods tested for a while - which you should do while on Metformin (particularly B12/iron, liver and kidney function). The last doctor I mentioned my bloods to said that as I wasn't taking Metformin for diabetes, these tests were unnecessary!!

Any reassurance or suggestions would be very welcome!

Platinum
Platinum

Postby pcos babe » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:58 pm

hi ive always wondered if i have insulin resistance, i have most of those symptons that u have described and also dark patches of skin and depending what i eat i get really tired straight away, mostly if ive eaten carbs i need to keep eating its like its upset my sugar/insulin levels and i end up with choccy etc but then it makes me feel awful

i keep putting of getting tested as ive heard ppl having a hard time trying to get tested as it cost 150 quid or something, is this true or have u ladies been sent for the tests with no problems, also what tests do u get, is it a one off blood test or are there more lol
me 30 dh 33
ttc since 2003
1 angel baby aug 2006
Tried everything from herbs,clomid, 8 x injections/iui, IVF and FET
pcos babe

Postby haricotbean » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:21 pm

hello there!! im so sorry to hear you are both having problems (me too), i also think i have IR, sugar makes me so sick now, its horrible!! i cant even eat my favourite CHOCOLATE without feeling like crap after!
But what i have gathered from these lovely ladies here that are members of this site is that you need to be brave and get what you think you need from your doctors.
ive got my next doctors trip during my easter break and am going armed with info (hopefully!) and requesting a IR test so i will keep you posted and let you know what happens...hopefully it might be useful!
lv h xxx
haricotbean

Insulin Resistance

Postby SophieJohn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi, I just joined Verity today. I have PCOS Syndrome and am really worried that the insulin resistance element is being ignored in my treatment. I tried to tell my GP about my inability to stop eating once I had eaten pasta or chocolate, it's like a compulsion. I can identify with the symptoms you describe and wonder how I can get my doctor to look into help re this? Sophie John, 27 Wales
SophieJohn

Tips re carbohydrates

Postby saff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:53 pm

Hi there
I just thought I would share my experience as it may help you. If you find that when you eat things like pasta you could just keep on eating and it makes you hungrier, then it sounds like you are slightly carb addicted and it is related to your insulin levels.

I was similar and I find for me the best thing to do is to avoid all complex carbohydrates in my diet except very occasionally as a treat. But you may want to start on a low gi diet initially and see how that goes - there is loads about that on the weight thread and there are lots of books you can buy. However, if like me, low gi doesn't work for you (as you can still eat pasta etc just brown rather than white), then you may want to try a low carb diet - not atkins style, instead healthy with loads of fruit and veg and low fat protein but limited complex carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. If you stop eating this stuff, after a few weeks I found you lose the cravings for them and also are much better able to regulate your diet and how much you eat - you don't feel nearly as hungry and dont get mood swings etc. If you can regulate things with diet that is probably best don't you think? I think so at least. But then if that doesn't work, I would ask for tests for insulin resistance and there is medication you can take if you need to as a last resort.

I hope that helps.

All the best

Saff
saff

Postby Nicki_Sue » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:03 pm

Ive just joined Verity and reading these posts has made me rethink my approach to pcos. Im making an appointment to see a different gp on tuesday (mine is lovely but i think i need a fresh perspective). I havent had my bloods taken and tested since first diagnosed 5yrs ago nearly and reading through has thrown up a lot of other questions that I should have followed up at first, althogh my only concern/obsession was conceiving at the time.
How often do you think we shold be tested for IR? My pcos isnt "managed" at all.
Nicki_Sue

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes