Alcoholic drinks - what do you have when you're out?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Alcoholic drinks - what do you have when you're out?

Postby Cheryl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi

I have a pretty active social life but I read so many bad things about PCOS and alcohol, basically that we should avoid it altogether.

I am trying to find ideas on which alcoholic drinks won't raise the insulin too much? Or are all of them bad news?

Also for those of you who don't drink, what do you have instead? Because I heard fruit juices and fizzy drinks are just as bad for you!!

Please advise!
Cheryl

Postby debbie » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:01 am

This is based on general diet/weight loss more than PCOS, but when I drink I tend to go for vodka, lime and soda. The vodke and soda has few calories (compared to some of the dark spirits and certainly beer and alcopops!) and the lime is minimal so again few calories.

x x x
debbie

Postby ShadyLady » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:53 pm

hi i like a good drink when i go out, i like cider or perhaps a pint of beer now and again,or snake bite which is cider and beer together i sometimes have.

if ur trying to avoid the ones that raise your sugar levels then definately stay clear of alco pops things like reef/archers/smirnoff/bacardi breezer etc that sort of thing absolutely bursting with sugar and totally revolting i quite like cocktails but again quite alot of sugar so dont go for them very much.

i think any brand of wine would be suitable for you but for myself i hate wine so i dont drink it hope it helps.
caz xxxx

yippee ki yay
ShadyLady

Postby loopylolz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:10 pm

I have heard Wine is supposed to be good, and I used to drink Wine like mad, I used to drink Vodka and Diet Coke which for me was ok I only had 3 or 4 though!

And Im ashamed to say that when I go out, I do buy water from the bar, if they sell it there, I drink like 3 litres a day!

Lolly xxx
loopylolz

Postby Moonchildhippy'71 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:07 pm

Real ale or cider are my favourites :) :D something I've picked up from my Dad, not that I go out much. I don't drink booze very often.
Moonchildhippy'71

Postby purplestar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Vodka and diet coke was my drink, when I was able to drink. Worked well with a low-carb diet.
Diagnosed '93, Met since March '00 (2000mg/day), Spironolatone & Yasmin (when not ttc)

ImageImage

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
purplestar
Verity Moderator

Postby Lucinda » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:01 pm

I would suggest spirits/liqueurs with water as a mixer, or a good red wine, or a decent beer.
Daft southerner up north; age: 38; diagnosed with PCOS at 19, but unaware of the full significance until the last few years - most notably when my hair began thinning at 27! Now trying to help symptoms by using an anti-candida diet.
Lucinda

Postby Sofia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm a bacardi and diet coke fan, or occasionally a vodka and diet coke. If I'm at home I'll really control the size of the shot, but this is more difficult when you're out. Try to avoid doubles is all I can say!
Sofia

Postby pcos babe » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:02 pm

i either have vodka and diet coke or alcopops but i rarely drink due to ttc and fertilty meds etc so its not very often
me 30 dh 33
ttc since 2003
1 angel baby aug 2006
Tried everything from herbs,clomid, 8 x injections/iui, IVF and FET
pcos babe

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes