Please clear

no insulin resistance test!!! is this right.

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB

no insulin resistance test!!! is this right.

Postby oatcake12 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:58 pm

i am been diagnosed with pcos for about 4 yrs now... and no one has ever mentioned an insulin resistance test to me... is this right or should everyone with pcos have one.....

i did recently ask to go onto metformin for other reasons and i was just told its only used for ppl with diabetes and i needed to lose a substantial amount of weight b4 they would even consider it. ( i am lost 3 stone already )

not a happy bunny !!

xxx
oatcake12

Postby Annoldie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Oatcake ,Metformin has been used pretty widely for pcos for a number of years now - have a look around the site for evidence. However it is not officially registered for non diabetics and some drs are still cautious about prescribing it. I was diagnosed about 4yrs ago too, and had to ask for Metformin - I printed out and copied as much info about it as I could, then sent it to my GP a few day's before my appointment to give him time to read it. I was only the second non diabetic in the practice to be given it - think they have caught up a bit since! I also had to ask for a Glucose Tolerance Test to check for Insulin Resistance - found I had type 2 diabetes. I am not suggesting you have diabetes - I think I had been IR for about 30yrs. A blood sugar test is not enough esp. if you are on a low carb diet. If you are IR Metformin might make it easier for you to lose weight as it levels out your blood sugar. I'm afraid a lot of doctors don't know much about pcos, so we end up looking things up ourselves, presenting them with the evidence and pushing until we get the help we need - our health is at stake! Well done on losing 3 stone I'm green with envy. Ann.
Annoldie

Postby oatcake12 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:45 pm

thanks ann......

i think when i next go back to him i am gonna ask him about a test and also i am gonna ask to be referred to an endocrinologist as i seem to be hearing that they are better for pcos than a gynae...... i will keep ya posted
xxx
oatcake12

Postby smiler » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:58 pm

Hi Oatcake,

I got diagnosed 2 years ago and i have been told that evertytime i have my day 21 bloods taken i need to be tested for insulin resistance.

I have diabetes run in my Dad's side of the family so they think it is worth keeping a close eye on, but they said because of the link of diabetes with pcos it should be tested for anyway.

Hope this helps

Claire
xxx
TTC 6 years

Ultrasound 01/08/08 - typical pcos ovaries
smiler

Postby oatcake12 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:34 pm

well i havent been back for a while.... but i went to my doctors again. asked to be tested for diabetes or insulin tolerance ( though i dont know the difference) and he just sent me for a blood test where i had to fast for 12 hrs b4 and then i had the test and was sent on my way. apparently it came back normal he said is was 4.6 whatever that means. but i been reading and lots of ppl seemed to be sent for tests where they have to have a glucose drink etc. well anyway still doesnt understand why i get the shakes and feels all sick and whoosy if i dont eat every couple of hours....... i asked to be reffered to see and endocrinologist and he refused saying he would be of no use. but then i had a period lasting 3 months long even though i am on the pill and was also taking transexamic acid and mefenamic acid so he finally gave it and let me see the endocrinologist. who did seem a very nice chap but just wanted to concentrate on my weight at first so gave me some reductil tablets and i have to go back in 3 months.....

but am still not convinced i have been properly tested for insulin resistance. can anyone help and advice how or what to do now... the doc says 4.6 is fine.. but why havent i had the glucose drink test. i thought being diabetic was when ur bodies insulin levels were too high like 17 and then u controlled them with insulin or something to make them low and then when it fell too low like under 5 it was a hypo ( sugar low ) am really confused.

jode xxx
oatcake12

Postby nadiyamidgley » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:46 am

Check this out ladies it helped me understand -

I can't post a link yet but there is a patient dot co dot uk website, search glucose tolerance test and insulin resistance

I DID have a glucose tolerance test (privately) and my hormone levels were also tested. My IR was diagnosed because I had a higher level for one of them - LH or FSH can't remember which .... and that was not the way round it was meant to be, PLUS I had a very high number from my GTT, and PLUS the u/s had shown a polycycstic ovary
nadiyamidgley

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes