How do you know if you are diabetic?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

How do you know if you are diabetic?

Postby tigger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 pm

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 months ago and since then have been taking metformin. About a month ago I went up to 1500 mg metformin (slow release) per day. Over the past couple of weeks I have had an increased thirst and weeing more. I have been losing weight fast over the past few weeks (about 4-5 pounds per week) which I thought was due to the metformin working. I have been exhausted, which I also blamed on the metformin. More and more I get a bit dizzy as if I'm about to faint but recover after a couple of seconds and am fine.

So my question is how do you know if are actually diabetic and not insulin resistant? Can you become diabetic even when on pretty high levels of metformin? Or are these just the side effects of upping the dose of the metformin?

Any advice gratefully received.
T x
tigger

Postby vodka dietcoke » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:59 pm

Hi, You should go to your GP and explain your symptoms and concerns to them. If its nothing you get reassurance, if its something at least they know about it and can start proper treatment.
vodka dietcoke

Postby abundant_lyfe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi Tigger.

I was having the same sort of symptoms, but put it down to being over-worked, then my sight went all fuzzy. I went to the opticians, who said that I had to get a blood sugar test. It came out at 26 (very high) and the nurse told me very bluntly that I have diabetes. Scary at 28! I've lost just over a stone in around a month.

It's worth getting it checked out. I was on metformin, but stopped in the summer because I couldn't afford to buy both my husband's and my medicine.

They can do several tests. One is a urine test, one is a blood sugar test (where they just prick your finger and get a single drop of blood. Reasonably painless) and the third is what is called a starvation blood test (which I've yet to have). The blood sugar test is probably the best to ask for as it is a pretty good indicator, but make a note of what you've eaten that day.

If you don't want to go and see your doctor initially, Lloyds Chemist (and possibly Boots) will do a diabetes test for free.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
You can call me Al :)
abundant_lyfe

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes