Diabetic Drinks

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Diabetic Drinks

Postby Mazarin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:51 pm

What do you drink as a Diabetic... I've been indulging on fruit juice for years, I adore it and can easily get through 2 litres a day but have no relised that is BAD for me as a diabetic and need to switch.

I am happy to drink water, but I don't want it all time, Caffine free coke is an option but I will soon get bored with that!

Any ideas?
Mazarin

Postby vodka dietcoke » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:54 pm

Any sugar free cordials are ok. The occasional fruit juice wont do any harm but should be one with 'bits' in or one you've made yourself from fresh fruits. Fruit teas? Milk? sugar free pop in moderation (says the dietcoke queen!)
vodka dietcoke

Postby Mazarin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:51 pm

Fresh fruit juice is a no no for me as once I start it I can't stop.... and the natural sugars are pushing up my blood sugars way to high!

... you know I could murder a diet coke! :lol: {ummmm and a splash of Vodka}
Mazarin

Diabetic Drinks

Postby tubbytronic » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:34 am

I have been Type 2 Diabetic for 9 years and my Diabetic Dietitian has banned fruit juices from my diet. I used to get 2 pints of Orange Juice every week from the Milkman and she said if I did not cancel my order then she would do it herself. I was only having a small glass with Breakfast to help with my vitamins.

I now only drink Tea with Milk, no sweeteners and water. I have the very occasional Diet Cola. I would stick to water, flavoured fizzy sugar free waters, low sugar squash and other low sugar/diet drinks. Personally I find that a lot of the low sugar drinks make my throat feel scratchy so is tea and water for me.

Also NO ALCOHOL whilst on METFORMIN - read the info. that comes with the tablet packet.

Tubbytronic.
More knowledge about PCOS is needed ~ ignorance is bliss!
tubbytronic

Postby Mazarin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:42 pm

Since being diagnosed I have perhaps been drinking fresh fruit juices maybe 2 litres a day at times.... no one ever said I shouldn't but then again I didn't get much help and support when I was told I was diabetic!

Now it's been about 6 days of just water and tea and I am finding my mouth is really dry with an awful metallic taste. I think it's something to do with almost wtihdrawing of so much fruit juice!

I have drunk on Metformin and I am really one of the lucky ones who has no problems with drinking, but I never drink to an excess. Although more recently I have given up on the drinking!
Mazarin

Diabetic Drinks

Postby tubbytronic » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:47 pm

Mazarin - Has your GP referred you to a Diabetic Dietitian? Here where I live as soon as your GP diagnoses you with Diabetes you are given a referral and in the meantime are given a leaflet of dieting/advice tips.

Depending on the situation at your local PCT you are also supposed to be given a free education session within your local Hospital/Diabetes Clinic of one half day session. A selection of leaflets/handouts are also given with dietary advice for Diabetics.

I very much think this would be beneficial. Also do you have a local branch of Diabetes UK in your area, usually they hold meetings once a month. I have mentioned this as at the moment I am on the Committee of my local group and have learnt a great deal. My GP offers no help/advice at all - in fact it was me who told him about these meetings.

Tubbytronic.
More knowledge about PCOS is needed ~ ignorance is bliss!
tubbytronic

Postby debbie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:20 pm

I am not diabetic but having been on a diet I guess the theory is the same!

I do tend to drink water the majority of the time but on occassion any diet drink hits the spot. More recently I like a fizzy flavoured water (less than 3cals per 100ml) and I love a soda water with a touch of lime (usually I drink this with vodka!). I think for me as long as a drink is well chilled or has ice I find it very refreshing. Water really is the best thirt quencher though. Too much fizzy makes me more thirsty!

Hope this helps!

x x x
debbie

Postby Mazarin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:19 pm

I tried the lime and soda it's so nice and refreshing!
Mazarin

Postby Darksilence » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:42 pm

is there something wrong with me? because i Hate the taste of water!!! puey, Yuck! :?
Darksilence

Postby Kisslekate » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Nope not alone i cant stand Water i think id rather have nothing !
Kisslekate

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes