GTT and Metformin

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

GTT and Metformin

Postby Helena D » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:22 am

Hi
I've just registered as a new member and need help. I have a Glucose Tolerance Test and Insulin test booked for next week to see if I have insulin resistance. I did not know about the test until recently and have been taking Metformin daily. Does anyone know if I should stop taking the Metformin before the test; I can't seem to get any answers about this from my clinic.

Also, does anyone know a really good gynae/endo based around Guildford, Surrey that I can see for a second opinion on management of my symptoms.

Thanks
Helena D
Helena D

Postby karenm4 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:01 pm

helena do u need to fast i had to go for the fast lipid test (i think thats wot it was called well something like that) anyway i didn't know wot to do but cos i wasn't eating that morning then i didn't take it when i got to the hosp they told me i had dun the rite thing cos u shouldn't take metformin on empty stomach or no food
karenm4

Postby legworks » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:01 pm

you do need to be off the metformin, yes. Also it takes a while to leave the body. I had this information from my doctor recently. Perhaps it's best to reschedule the test?
legworks

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes