NEW MEMBER- Just got Metformin! Is it really a 'wonder drug?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby Dee58 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:04 pm

It is nice to know that I am not alone in this...
I have just been put on Metformin, having been diagnosed with PCOS only a few weeks back. I had started the GI Diet last week, but when i went to see my doctor she basically told me I was as close as I could be to developing diabetes and that I had to lose weight.
I am 5'3" and 13 and a half stone, and pretty much all my weight is stored around my middle, which is why i've been told to lose the inches round my waist.
Im really scared about what to do and how metformin will help (i hope it does help) ...but im finding it incredibly hard to sort out meal plans etc. Sorry if all this is a ramble, as there is just so much information to take in.
Dee58

Hi Dee

Postby nadiyamidgley » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Hello

You poor love - I remember feeling exactly like you, a year ago.
It was hard, but it took me about 6 months with a lot of support from my husband, my dietician and my doctor to get used to the new way of eating and the metformin. I lost a stone, felt much better, and was able to get pregnant with the addition of clomiphene

You CAN do this - and I'm here to help you too, ok?
nadiyamidgley

Postby HelenYorkshire » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi :)
(First post please be gentle lol)

I've just been given metformin after nearly 2 years of me nagging the dr - the way I saw it, I know there's no magic cure, but no one ever gave me a reason I couldn't try it... :lol:

Interestingly, my very first pill this morning, and I do feel a lot more alert / awake, and no sugar craving yet - it was someone's birthday at work but instead of chomping the cake I had a biscuit and some fruit!

Hope it's not just a placebo effect...

So miracle drug? Maybe not. But it might be a shove in the right direction :wink:
HelenYorkshire

Metformin - good or bad

Postby mrsnutts » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:51 pm

I've been taking metformin for 4 months, but had to change to the time release one after 10 weeks as I was finding it hard to go anywhere without double checking there was a loo. Getting the tube & train home from work with stomach cramps was a bit of a lottery as to whether I'd make it to the loo!

My period has gone from highly irregular to regular from the first month, so it's supposed to be working for me, but I haven't lost much weight (once the IBS reduced!) I'm now adding the low GI, more fruit & veg etc to the mix to see if that works better.

Does anyone have any advice on controlling side affects from Metformin?

x
S
mrsnutts

Previous

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes