NEW MEMBER- Just got Metformin! Is it really a 'wonder drug?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

NEW MEMBER- Just got Metformin! Is it really a 'wonder drug?

Postby lynsay » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:42 pm

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this so please bear with! I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and have just today started Metformin. I am 14 stone exactly and am 5 ft 6in. I am at my heaviest and feel very tired allot of the time and irritable. Will Metformin help me lose weight? Will it help with tiredness and low libido? Will it help ridiculous sugar cravings? Been given 500mg tabs. 1 for 1st week then 2 second week then 3 from then on. Had first 1 this morning with a banana and a pear and felt a bit queasy when I had a chocolate cookie mid morning. Please give me your stories, warts and all!! I need to lose 3 st 7lb.

Looking forward to hearing your stories! x
lynsay

Postby Splatts » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:17 pm

Alas no, i wouldn't say it's a wonder drug hun.

Does help me with tiredness and it does help with libido and 'can' aid weightloss, but for some people it has more effect than others.

When you take it at first, you can get side effects and it's better to take with something more substantial than what you had.. for the first few weeks until your body gets used to it.

Try having cereal & your fruit with the Met and see if that helps, or take the Met with your Lunch or evening meal.

You might get an upset tummy with it at first and it can make you feel sick and shaky if you take it on an empty stomach too.
Splatts

Postby lynsay » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:25 pm

Thanks, I will try that. Really hope it helps with weight! 3rd day now and dont really feel need to eat between meals. Good sign x
lynsay

Postby mizuza » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:11 pm

i have been on met 2 days now and if i have noticed anything its that i am calmer between meals, i dont seem to get the same cravings....do still get some, but i just feel more even through the day and coffee doesnt make me as wired as it used too.

i move up to 1000mg next week so will see if i get more side effects then.
mizuza
mizuza

Postby kazza » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:35 pm

hi

ive been on it nearly 6 weeks now and have been taking it combined with healthy eating. i have started to lose weight and definately feel better in myself which i think is a combination of the two.

i definately am not as hungry, tired and irritable as i was and a miracle has happened i have ovulated on CD14 this month which i have never done in my life!! i dont think its a wonder drug on its own but with a healthier diet and exercise it really has improved my symptoms!

good luck
kaz
xx
2008 8x clomid all BFN
Feb 09 IVF #1 BFN
May 09 FET BFN
Sept 09 FET BFP - MC
Jan 10 IVF #2 BFP - early MC
kazza

Postby karenm4 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:06 pm

i bin taking my metformin since jully with a sort of gi diet (oooopppssss i can't stick to it ) anyway i havn't touched chocloate sinece begin of july occasionally i have a pudding but i have started to realise how awful i feel after something sweet all i want to do is sleep after i reckon metformin has helped me with some of the sweet craving well a lot actually but the best thing is i have lost 1 stone and 1lb since july which i didn't think i would have
karenm4

Postby kazza » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:46 pm

lynsay

how you getting on with it??

xxx
2008 8x clomid all BFN
Feb 09 IVF #1 BFN
May 09 FET BFN
Sept 09 FET BFP - MC
Jan 10 IVF #2 BFP - early MC
kazza

Postby nadiyamidgley » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:47 am

how's it going?
It's been a wonder drug for me - lost weight, plenty of symptoms reduced, managed to get pregnant with Met & clomid, moods got better ...

Am not perfect, or even normal healthy ... BUT even my gut is better on Met
nadiyamidgley

Postby Petra » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:55 pm

Nadiyamidgley, congratulations on your pregnancy. Hope all is going well for you.

I have started taking Met 1700 mg a day a month ago. Doctor told me that he will review in three months and add clomid if needed. When they gave you Clomid, did you have regular ultrasounds? Can you please let me know what to expect?

thanks Petra x
Petra

Postby nadiyamidgley » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:05 pm

I didn't have regular u/s because my Dr was 3 hours away and I have no insurance ... so she decided with me and my DH that I would just keep charts for her, and if we don't get pg in a couple of months start monitoring with u/s

I do believe it is best to be monitored - I was lucky, but its very easy to hyperstimulate our ovaries

I didn't get that many side effects but they can be bad

How are you doing on the metformin?

I spend a lot of time on soulcysters (the forum) and get a lot of support and info from the ladies there. Have you tried it?
nadiyamidgley

Postby Petra » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:11 pm

I am doing fine on Metformin, thanks for asking. The first two weeks I was feeling little bit sick, but luckily went to see my parents for a week and had lots of rest. In the meantime, my body got used to Met and now I have no problem. As long as I take it after food with plenty of water... :wink: Thanks for the website, I will check it.

I haven't had period for 4 months and was hoping that Met would help. I am taking it for a month.. am I just impatient?
Petra

Postby nadiyamidgley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:22 am

I think it takes longer than that. i was on it for 6 months, lost a lot of weight, but still was not Oing, and so we added Clomid and I Od the first cycle and got pregnant the second cycle! I'll have to wait till after the baby comes to see if I can O on my own!!

It's a complicated mix. You might just need Met, or you might need more drugs. Wait and see. It is hard to wait, but our chemicals are REALLY out of whack. I had to have HRT patches because my Estradiol was at a really low level - like an old menopausal lady or a little girl, and I was having a lot of problems, UTIs, dry skin, a brittle vagina (sex was impossible) it was awful.

What your combination will be, I guess time will tell xx

Glad to hear about the Met.
nadiyamidgley

Postby magic » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:37 pm

I've just been prescribed metformin by my GP as he believes it may do the trick in improving my fertility and maybe help me conceive. I am not really overweight and am confused by all the insulin resistance stuff so am a bit wary about starting it as the side effects worry me.
Can't face being any more tired than I already am!
magic

Postby nadiyamidgley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:49 pm

magic are you insulin resistant? You can only know for sure with a special glucose tolerance test (3 hr test) or a blood test for the insulin, as well as a check on your hormone levels
nadiyamidgley

Postby lucy snowe » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:52 pm

I got a period after a short time taking met, but I'd been losing weight anyway so it's hard to say which was most effective.

For me met was a wonder insofar as it made me feel ill when I ate fatty or high-carb food, so I was forced to diet!
lucy snowe

Next

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes