6 Years on Cerazette and without periods

One of the most common symptoms of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

6 Years on Cerazette and without periods

Postby Char30 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:00 am

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 (2001) - I had large cysts removed and again 6 months later which had ruptured and strangulated my ovary. That was all on the same ovary, which is now half the size and sewn down to prevent it strangulating again. I started microgynin 30 but I didn't take it for long as it didn't agree with me. (Headaches etc.)

I then started taking Cerazette 6 years ago (When I was 19 years old) and never had a period since other than the odd spotting/show initially.
I stopped taking it in October 2015 (25 years old) and I am yet to have a period (6 months later).

Any advice or similar circumstances?

Thank you.
Char30

Re: 6 Years on Cerazette and without periods

Postby Hols969 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:01 am

I dont know enough about that pill to advise, it may be perfectly ok not to have a period on it but I am not sure. I would go to your GP and ask for something to force a bleed since you have come off it as you should have 4 periods a year to keep your uterus healthy.

I believe the cysts you had removed are proper cysts rather than pcos cysts (which are not cysts at all but follicles, so the name of the condition is misleading). Usually they disperse back into the body rather than continue to grow.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Meringoo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:23 pm

Cerazette is a progestogen-only pill, and irregular bleeding, regular bleeds, AND no bleeding at all are perfectly normal and acceptable. It's safe because ovulation is usually suppressed (in 97% of cycles), therefore it doesn't mean your ovaries will be producing cysts leading to anovulatory cycles. Your menstrual cycle is suppressed by this pill. You can get the occasional ovarian cyst with any POP, but this isn't as common with Cerazette as it is with older POPs. So, no bleeding is fine whilst ON the pill, however, if it's been 6 months since you stopped taking it, it's possible that you might need to see your doctor to check your ovaries and LH/FSH levels. Ovulation can occur 4-17 days after stopping Cerazette, but if this hasn't happened, it could be that you need to induce a bleed hormonally (with tablets).
Meringoo

Postby wrigglepup » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi Char30, I am on Cerazette, I decided to have a rest from the pill and had no periods. That's when I discovered I had pcos.
I can go ages with a period, If I suddenly do losts of exercise or eat really healthily it seems
to trigger one off!
The nurse said don't be surprised if I had no periods, and like I say I didn't have a period when I stopped taking it, so it can happen. If you are worried I would speak to your doctor.
wrigglepup

Return to Irregular cycles