8 years without periods...

One of the most common symptoms of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

8 years without periods...

Postby HelenJL » Thu May 07, 2015 8:00 pm

Hello,

I was diagnosed with PCOS about eight years ago, and haven't a period for at least that length of time, if not a little longer. I remember when I was first diagnosed, I was basically told not to worry about anything until I reached a point that I wanted children. I realised recently just how long it has been since I had a period and it has made me wonder if there could be any health risks to me as a result? Maybe it is simply because nothing is going on with my ovaries etc.? Should I go back and ask my GP about it? But what to say if they respond with a bland 'not to worry' type statement?

Any advice appreciated!

Thank you.
HelenJL

Re: 8 years without periods...

Postby Hols969 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Yes there are risks and your GP shouldnt have let you carry on without one, you can get medication to force a bleed with keeps your uterus healthy. You should have 3-4 bleeds a year. Are you up to date on smears etc?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby HelenJL » Mon May 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for your reply. I had my latest smear result back today as it happens and no issues were identified - I am 28 so have had the two I am meant to. I tend to get nervous with the GP and find it hard to be assertive... how can I 'encourage' them to listen and not send me away with platitudes?
HelenJL

Postby Hols969 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:16 pm

I would look at the NICE guidelines on PCOS as then you will know what all GP's should be doing with regard to PCOS, so at least you know your facts when you go. It is difficult being assertive with a GP I agree, but having a bleed is really important. One lady contact us and was sure she got cervical cancer due to no bleeds because of PCOS and she was so cross as her GP never told her how important they were and just said how lucky she was not to have a period!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby HelenJL » Mon May 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Thank you. I will make an appointment asap and put my brave face on!
HelenJL

Postby Dreamer101 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:00 pm

I'm 19 and haven't had a bleed in way over a year, mentioned it briefly to my doctor because I've been having issues downstairs, it's gone very dry and they haven't diagnosed anything after having a swab, and I'm worried it's being caused by the lack of periods. I went off the pill because my weight was the absolute highest it was allowed to be, and it had lowered my metabolism which is awful at best. Don't suppose Helen you can relate at all to either of these?
Dreamer101

Postby HelenJL » Mon May 25, 2015 6:28 pm

I was waiting to reply until I had been to my GP which I did last week. I have to say it was a thoroughly disheartening experience. I was told not to worry about anything, bluntly asked if I wanted children (a sensitive issue for me) or if I wanted them in the future, then was told that at 28 I am past "peak fertility" so if I do decide to have children then not to wait too long! I was left so upset. Imagine my surprise to pick up an answerphone message a couple of hours ago from the GP saying that he has been "reflecting on our consultation" and has referred me for an ultrasound. Very random for late afternoon on a bank holiday so something must have been niggling at him. I had an ultrasound when I was first diagnosed but absolutely nothing since. Of course I hope it doesn't show anything, but I do feel I need the explicit reassurance.
HelenJL

Postby Hols969 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:08 am

I would ask to see an endocrinologist as your GP is clueless, especially regarding how important it is to have a period!!!
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Lozza9312 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:57 pm

Sorry extremely late and I of course hope that you have had a period by now.

I went back to the Dr's in November and they told me when it got to a year without a period that I would have to go back and go on a contraceptive pill as going too long without a period can put you at a higher risk of osteoporosis.
Lozza9312

Return to Irregular cycles