Confused

One of the most common symptoms of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Confused

Postby Calkarima » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 by blood test, I am now 42. I have been having some prolonged bleeding since Christmas and my GP referred me for an ultrasound. At the appointment the Doctor said that he was to check my womb as the GP was considering fitting a Mirena Coil (news to me!!!) I explained that I had PCOS and was having excess bleeding and I thought I was there to have the endometrium checked for thickening. He said he would do that while he was doing the pelvic ultrasound. He did the scan and asked me if it was poly cystic kidneys or ovaries I had and I said Ovaries and he asked who had told me I had them as he couldn't see any evidence of them on the scan. Now I know that not everyone shows lots of cysts on ultrasound but what has confused me is that over the past 20 years I've had a lot of scans and IVF and laparoscopy and laser diathermy etc and ALL have shown up cysts. Is it possible for them to just disappear?? Could it be menopause? I don't know if the cysts disappear at menopause or not. I was told by my GP before the scan that ladies with PCOS tend to go through menopause around 54 so I'm not there yet.

He has told me that I have a 2.5 cm fibroid but everything else looks completely normal which is a relief so I'm just wondering if anyone else knows if cysts come and go or if I should be worried.

Thanks

Mhairi
Calkarima

Return to Irregular cycles