Norethisterone to bring on AF- please help!

One of the most common symptoms of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Norethisterone to bring on AF- please help!

Postby harrietteee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:24 am

Hi ladies, I was recently prescribed norethisterone to try and bring on a bleed as I havnt had a period in around 2-3 years.
I took the course of tablets for 10 days and the doctor told me I should get a bleed 2-3 days after finishing the course.
So 5 days later I am still waiting, I had cramps on days 3 and 4, I really thought it was coming, and even had a slight dark red discharge. But now nothing it's like it's died down.
My questions are has anyone else been prescribed these tablets, what was their experience like? Did it end in a positive outcome i.e a bleed? Everywhere I have scrolled on the internet all show stories of ladies where the tablets did work, I cannot find any of the ladies whom they did not, and what this means for me.
The doctor informed me that the results of these tablets will give him some very important news but then did not elaborate. So I am just worrying now as I do not go back to the hospital to see this doctor for another 4 weeks.

Thank you :)
harrietteee

Re: Norethisterone to bring on AF- please help!

Postby pinksheep » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:20 pm

I think it can take up to 2 weeks. I used provera to bring on a bleed and it worked 3 days after finishing course of 5 days of 10mg.

Hopefully it'll arrive soon for you. Fx
pinksheep

Postby Hols969 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Yes I had heard itcan take up to 2 weeks as well. But it doesn't always work so go back to your gp if it doesn't as there are different types!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Shelley12 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:50 pm

I am taking Norethisterone at the moment, to bring on a bleed.

My doctor said that if I didn't get a bleed at the end, then it would show I have a problem with my levels of Oestrogen.

I wouldn't panic yet though, as others have said, it can take up to 2 weeks :)
Shelley12

Postby harrietteee » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks for the reply guys but it's been 4 weeks now and nothing so I'm guessing that they didn't work. I'm at the hospital again Monday so will be asking lots of questions then! Feeling worried now so please cross your fingers for me! Xx
harrietteee

Postby Hols969 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Provera is another option as well so ask for that instead.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby sherry1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:25 pm

yes I take norethisterone to bring on a bleed but cannot seem to tolerate the full 10 day course as in past have nearly passed out and become sweaty when bleeding fully starts so I take 5 days worth of tablets and get a bleed about 5/6 days later. I am puzzled though as I am normally very laid back, don't stress too much or get wound up but as soon as I am on these pills I am tearful and really ratty and feel low. I even shouted at my boss today! feel I don t have a choice but to take them as having no periods is not good. I am also wondering about dinette in the past which I took and had some success losing weight but thinking back I was very tempremental back then. I feel I am a better person and more stable when I do not take either of these meds. any feedback would be great.
sherry1

Postby Hols969 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:14 am

If you are not TTC then I would consider a combined pill as it can level you out generally (I take 2 months on the trot to avoid any dips, would do 3 months but kept spotting) as long as you have 4 periods a year then its ok. Well done you for making sure you have the important bleed tho as so many dont realise the consequences of not having a bleed.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Irregular cycles