Period? (TMI warning)

One of the most common symptoms of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Period? (TMI warning)

Postby welshchick » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:14 am

I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2007 and I haven't received any medication at any stage to help with my symptoms. All the doctors are concerned about is treating me when I want to get pregnant.

On Thursday night, I noticed some very minor brown discharge aka old blood which was a surprise as its been just over 2 years since my last period. I dug out (and cleaned) my mooncup and went off to work on Friday. When I removed it, it was empty. There was some of the brown discharge around the rim but beyond that it was clean as a whistle. Same this morning. Then this afternoon, there was a small amount of red, period like fluid in the cup. Not much though. I am estimating about 0.2-0.5 ml worth based on the ml guidelines on the side of the cup. It was the same again tonight. Each time it was in for about six hours.

I would say that 90% of the time, my period comes in September or October and during the latter half of the month. I do not recall having a period at the start of a month. Also, my flow is regular each time. At this stage, I would normally have a half to three quarters full cup after six hours.

Since trying to get an appointment at the doctor's is like getting blood out of a stone, I was hoping for some reassurance or some idea of when I should be concerned.
welshchick

Re: Period? (TMI warning)

Postby Hols969 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:13 am

You should have 4 periods a year to keep your uterus up to date and your GP should have given you something to force a period, I would go to your GP and ask for provera to force a bleed. They often say come back when you want a family and left to it, but it can be quite serious not having periods which GP's seem to forget, make sure you are up to date with your smears just to be on the safe side. Alternatively go on the combined contraceptive pill so that a bleed is forced (taking 2-3 months on the trot keeps the symptoms more at bay as well which is what I do). Has your weight changed or anything else in the last few months so that your body is trying to have a period naturally?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby welshchick » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:51 am

I do not think it could be my weight though I'll accept its a possibility. Reason is that in June 2012, I started a diet and lost nearly 2 and a half stone by April. I pretty much quit my diet during my grief for a family member that died in May and have slowly regained weight :roll: .

Apart from getting a promotion at work, nothing else has really changed in the last couple of months.
welshchick

Postby Hols969 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:57 am

It is still a change though to your system so perhaps the weight gain is doing something. I would go and see your GP and get them to give you something to force a proper period.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby welshchick » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:42 pm

I am going to contact my GP tomorrow because if it a period, its the weirdest one I've had.

However, I'll probably have to make do with a telephone appointment first off. You don't get a face to face appointment unless you're at death's door ... particularly if you want to get an appointment with a doctor who will have some idea of what you're talking about :roll:
welshchick

Postby welshchick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:37 am

So rather that start a new thread, I thought I would update this one to give it a bit of continuity.

I started bleeding yesterday. This time, I am convinced its my period. So far, its completely normal with everything I normally get such as the joyful cramps present. Also, my flow seems bang on. The only 'concerning' element is when I first started and was pretty regular, it was the latter part of the month I would get my period. However, it lines up with that bleeding I got back in January. If you read my OP, you'll know I use a mooncup which is brilliant for tracking the amount of fluid so that's what I am doing.

Here's the part where I've been naughty. I've yet to see my doctor about that bleeding back in January. There are no excuses in the world that would excuse not doing so but I'll just explain that I work as a female care support (non medical) and the lady I was primarily supporting for has now gone into a nursing home. So, I've been going through a transition period and as silly as it sounds, I didn't realize three months had already past. However, I had booked my smear test prior to my bleed and I'll be having blood tests done at the same time.

So, unless something out of the ordinary happens, I intend to let this period run its course and then see the doctor post smear and blood tests. Hopefully, the combination of information from a smear, blood tests and my own tracking will all help the doctors.
welshchick

Return to Irregular cycles