How many periods a year?

One of the most common symptoms of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

How many periods a year?

Postby Mrsarthur » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:47 pm

Just being nosey I generally have one or two a year so when I get them I really get them :/
Mrsarthur

Re: How many periods a year?

Postby Hols969 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:18 am

You should have 4 to keep your uterus healthy and should ask for pills to force a bleed if its only twice a year.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Iona84 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:44 am

Hi Mrsarthur; last year I had 3, lasting 2-3 days each time and very light. Prior to this I was on the implant and didn't have periods. Hols 969, I never new about needing periods to keep your uterus healthy, My GP has never even mentioned this to me which is a bit of a worry :-(
Iona84

Postby SinkMyBattleship » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:52 am

Hi, Im 20 years old and have only had 2 periods in my life, so I count myself as lucky (haha). Each were about 6 days long. I never want children or anything like that so not having a monthly cycle doesn't really bother me, especially when I hear all my girl friends complaining about thier periods. :) So im not too upset about it (haha). Embrace it, atleast you don't have to spend a small fortune buying pads or whatever every month :) x
SinkMyBattleship

Postby Hols969 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:09 am

It's not as simple as that though, a period sheds the womb lining and so you should have 3-4 periods a year to avoid issues e.g cancer - we had one lady contact us earlier in the year who had cervical cancer and she never knew how important it was to have a period as her gp never told her!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby belleandboo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:54 pm

I didn't know either about regular periods until I saw a gyny last week at the hospital. I average 1 a year but haven't had one in the last 3 years. Despite having had two babies within that time no midwife or dr questioned me further on not having had periods (they ask when your last one was). I had assumed wrongly that the bleed you have after giving birth classed as a period so was not concerned.

I'd been seeing my GP almost monthly with pcos related problems but I felt he was trying to push me into saying I was depressed so Id go away (I'm not). By luck I saw another Dr who referred me to endocrinology and they've been great. They gave me pills to start a period (it was massive) and checked on my cysts (not been done since 2010), given me dietician appointments and now I'm referred back to endocrinology to sort my hormones out. My bodies acting like it's pregnant (there was morning sickness, faintness, tiredness then breast milk).
CREWE PCOS group, meets monthly at Costa in Crewe just mail me for details :D
crewe@verity-pcos.org.uk
belleandboo
Local Group Leader

Postby crazyDiane » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:06 am

Since 2013 to 2014 I had about 2 periods a year, but now I am using the Inofem, and I have more that 6 periods a year so I think this is huge! <3 Look and read about Inofem: http://www.inofem.pl/en/who-should-use-inofem-,10048
crazyDiane

Postby crazyDiane » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:44 am

After some time, still using the Inofem, I have almost 8-9 periods a year, so I think it is great result! :)
crazyDiane

Return to Irregular cycles