Funny twinges, new pains and "fake" periods

One of the most common symptoms of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Funny twinges, new pains and "fake" periods

Postby fuzzysista » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi,

(A bit of background stuff)
Irregular cycles are my longest running PCOS symptom (to my knowledge) that I noticed not long into starting my period when I was 13. I remember being 14/15 and not having had a period for about 4 or 5 months. Since then it was always "my thing" to never be regular, and I would often have close friends checking in and wondering if I'm pregnant. (At this point I had never thought to see a doctor about my irregular periods. I just put it down to my age!)

I started seeing my boyfriend at 16 and decided to go on the pill. I was put on Microgynon and for the first time I knew exactly when to expect my "period" and how long for, and the usual agonising, vomit-inducing period cramps were much kinder. When I was about 17 I was taken off of Microgynon by a worried sexual health doctor during my check up (something to do with migraines) and I was put onto Cerazette and for as long as I was on that I had no periods. I came off of it a year or so later because it was not helping with my depression. After a short break I found out that I had PCOS (without cysts) and was advised to go back on the contraceptive pill and ended up being put back on Microgynon regardless of what I told the sexual health doctor about my previous experience. Last year I came off of it after ANOTHER doctor freaked out about me being on Microgynon (something to do with migraines - again!) And he gave me a pack of entirely new contraceptive pills to which I never started. I realised then that the pills were not helping my PCOS but just masking their symptoms. I am still having sex with the same person I lost my virginity to 6 years ago and we use condoms.

(What's happening now)
Since then my symptoms have wreaked havoc, my hirsutism/hair loss problem is getting out of control and I decided to start recording my menstrual cycles. I became vegan in November and I started having periods every month and they were pain-free. Although not the same time each month, they were still every month which was a huge deal for me! However, all was as well as it could be up until April just gone. I had no period at all, and then I had a normal one in the second week of May, and then I had one 2 weeks later that just resembled a dark brown discharge more so than blood. It was like a fake period! I had never had one so soon after my last either. Since around this time I have been feeling twinges in one ovary. It's not painful or even uncomfortable, it's just noticeable. Last week, I came on my period and woke up with the worst period cramps I have ever experienced in my life. My face was completely white, I was shaking, sweating and faint, and no position I put my body in would help. It was like knives in my front and back. I understand that this is unfortunately normal for some women and I did used to experience them similarly to this as a young teenager, but not anywhere to this extent. I couldn't lay or sit or stand without agony. After some strong painkillers and a hot water bottle, it went completely and I had no pains for the rest of my period this past week. I find this strange. When I was younger and had bad period cramps, they were very painful and heavy but I could manage to grin and bare it and the cramps would last for the first 2-3 days. What I had last week only lasted an hour or so and it was only heavy for a day.

Is there anything I should be concerned about or should I just accept this as a typically unpredictable PCOS period?

PEACE N LOVE x
fuzzysista

Re: Funny twinges, new pains and "fake" periods

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:43 am

I would ask to be checked for endometriosis as well - generally pcos should not cause severe pain but endo does and their is a link between endo and pcos.

I am on the combined pill because it masks all the symtoms, every time I have come off them I have turned into a moody yeti so I prefer being on them as I more 'normal' :-)
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: Funny twinges, new pains and "fake" periods

Postby fuzzysista » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Hols969 wrote:I would ask to be checked for endometriosis as well - generally pcos should not cause severe pain but endo does and their is a link between endo and pcos.

I am on the combined pill because it masks all the symtoms, every time I have come off them I have turned into a moody yeti so I prefer being on them as I more 'normal' :-)

Hi, Hols969 :) Apart from this one occasion I have never experienced any pain and I do not have any symptoms of endo but I guess it is probably a good idea to get checked anyway! That's great that the pill works for you! :D Thank you for your advice x
fuzzysista

Return to Irregular cycles