Metformin for Weight Loss

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Metformin for Weight Loss

Postby Daisy1883 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21. I'm 33 now. I've always struggled with my weight and skin but this was mostly managed with the pill previously.

I came off the pill to have my daughter and was put on Metformin when TTC. I actually fell pregnant 12 weeks after coming off the pill and within 6 weeks of starting the Metformin and stopped taking it as advised by my GP when my pregnancy was confirmed. I had perfect skin (for the first time ever) while pregnant and gained a normal amount of weight.

My baby is now 16 months and I've slowly put on so much more weight even though I'm eating healthily and exercising. I'm about 3 stone overweight, my skin is a horror show and for the first time I've noticed hair on my face. I've soooen to my GP today who has made me an appointment for 2 weeks time but he mentioned on the phone using Metformin to aid weightloss and control my skin and the hair. Strangely, I've had a period regularly since 3 months after birth, something that had never happened pre-pregnancy so some of the PCOS symptoms are better, others worse.

Can anyone share experiences for using Metformin for this purpose? I'd only thought it was an aid for ovulation, had never considered it as a medication to assist with other PCOS symptoms.

We are hoping to TTC baby number 2 next year, so I really need to get my weight down. I don't want to go into a pregnancy at an unhealthy weight.

Thanks,
Daisy
Daisy1883

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating