Really Struggling with Weight Loss

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Really Struggling with Weight Loss

Postby Sonja » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:24 am

I've been diagnosed with PCOS about 8 years ago and have struggled with my weight since my late teens. I've tried pretty much every diet under the sun and only ever manage to lose a few pounds and then plateau. I exercise regularly as well, but that doesn't seem to make a difference to my weight, although I am getting fitter.
I started working with a Nutritional Therapist recently, who basically told be to cut out red beef and pork, dairy, pasta, potatoes, grains in general, sugar, most fruit other than green apples, berries and the occasional banana. Although I thought that was quite drastic and wasn't sure if it is too healthy I've done this for a couple of months but even the only lost about 5 pounds and then stopped... It's so frustrating and I really don't know what else to try. I feel like I am spending all my energy and money on things that don't work...
Has anyone else struggled like this, but found something that made a difference? I am not looking for a miracle cure, I know that losing weight is hard work and takes time, especially for women with PCOS, I would just like to find a way to lose some weight, as if I don't I won't ever be able to have a family of my own.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated, also it would just be nice to know that I am not alone struggling with this.

Sonja
Sonja

Re: Really Struggling with Weight Loss

Postby Hols969 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:47 am

Blimey what could you eat???? Still generally to low GI, I dont eat carbs at night any more (I lost 3 stone on the Norah Lane diet about 3 years ago and can generally maintain it), I quite like the 5:2 diet now, if I put on a bit of weight I tend to do the 5:2, I find it really easy now (was a struggle initially) but has totally changed how I feel about hunger now.

I found exercise actually confused matters and I found I often wasnt eating enough and would go into storage mode which we do efficiently lol. We naturally put on 2lb a month even if we eat the recommended daily amount so we do need to eat significantly less than non pcos ladies.

I think motivation can be the toughest part because weight loss can be quite slow!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Sonja » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi Hols, thank you for your reply.
Although it sounds very restrictive there are a lot of nice recipes that are tasty and filling. Many of them require quite expensive ingredients, though and it takes time to cook them.
I have been referred to Slimming World by the Together for Health Service in Staffs, so I really hope that this will work for me. I don't know what else to try.
Sonja

Postby Hols969 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Lots of ladies have great success at SW - good luck
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating