Stuck in a rut! Weight not shifting...

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Stuck in a rut! Weight not shifting...

Postby JosephineG » Tue May 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi All

I was looking for a quick bit of advice about healthy eating and weight loss (the non lazy person inside my head is telling me just to read other people's posts... so apologies as I'm sure this is a regular topic)

I feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a cycle with my eating and whatever I do isn't shifting weight...after Christmas, at the beginning of the year, I was horrified to find out I now weigh 15st (the most I've ever weighed! - I was usually happy sitting at about 13 st) and decided I wanted to do something about it

I've also recently started a 9-5 job after years of shift work so thought it would be a great opportunity to get into a routine and move away from late night snacking...

For the past couple of months I've been trying really hard with my eating - this is what a normal day for me looks like;
Breakfast = Yoghurt (low fat) with added nuts or sliced banana
Lunch = Salad (homemade) with lettuce leaves, avocado and chicken (no dressing)
Afternoon snack = Nakd bar or fresh fruit
Dinner = often chicken with veg (I've been trying to cut out carbs with dinner as after work I often don't get round to eating dinner until about 8pm)

This has been going on since about February along with regular visits to the gym - I find I actually quite enjoy the gym and try to go at least twice a week...

Apart from the occasional ice cream after dinner or a meal out on the weekends I really don't know where I'm going wrong!!!

I genuinely don't know what else I can be doing....help!

Perhaps it is worth mentioning that I'm not on any medication - when I was first diagnosed about 8 years ago, I was put on Metformin and then after about 5 years of Metformin, I started taking the pill more recently had the implant fitted..this has obviously helped control the periods but now worried it's not helping with much else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, jo xx
JosephineG

Re: Stuck in a rut! Weight not shifting...

Postby wrigglepup » Fri May 13, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi Jo, your diet looks light to me, I'm no expert though, I feel your frustration as I am heavier again. I attend my local gym too but haven't been as much as advise due to a lingering cold. My instructor seems to know about pcos and set me an exercise plan suggesting that I go 4 times a week for 45 mins to an hour one session weighs the next time cardio vascular.
I did get a small exercise trampoline last year and that seemed to shift my fat, jumping about to my fave music each night.
I wonder if you just need to get your metabolism going. Look out for drinks too sugar is every where, everywhere I've worked have had coffee vending machines, I was told by a dietitian that the powered milk has added sugar so to avoid it, I loved J 2 0, and she said I shouldn't drink that either. This was before high sugar content in drinks like that was in the news.
PCOS can make losing weight quite hard, I hope you get results, it's annoying when you try so hard and nothing seems to work.
Good luck xx
wrigglepup

Re: Stuck in a rut! Weight not shifting...

Postby Lovefitnessnj » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:56 am

Hi Jo,

I know it's been a while since you posted this - how are things going now? Sounds like you've been trying really hard so well done on that. It can be disheartening when you're not seeing the progress you want.

I've been very recently diagnosed with PCOS but have taken a great interest in healthy eating and fitness for a while now. I'm far from an expert but thought I'd share a few things that might help...

Calorie intake - although calorie counting can pose some challenges, have you considered counting your calories for a few days? Sometimes if you don't eat enough calories your body goes into starvation mode so then start to store fat.

Have you considered looking into foods with low that are low GI. They keep you fuller for longer but also help keep your blood sugars more stable, helping prevent those peaks and troughs in blood sugar.

Do you drink alcohol? Sneaky stuff alcohol as can contain a lot of sugar/calories

Like wrigglepup said - keeping active is great too. By the sounds of it you're already doing great by going to the gym twice a week. Walking is a fantastic way of burning calories. I often make excuses to get out and walk somewhere just to make myself exercise. I also personally workout at home as it's simple and easy to do.

Hope this is of some help - don't give up!

X
Lovefitnessnj

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating