PCOS and Weight Gain

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

PCOS and Weight Gain

Postby Bailey26 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi All,

New to this website and forum - Wanted to start off and say what a fabulous amount of support you guys all provide, it's nice to see others sharing similar symptoms etc and knowing that you're not alone!

I wanted to post my story as my PCOS has never really been an issue ... or so I thought. I'm 28 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21. I vividly remember the day when I was informed I had PCOS and I asked my GP "what does this mean for me?" I was promptly told that it's something that may or may not allow you to have children - that was it. I left the GP surgery in tears. I have always been 50/50 over wanting children but to have the option taken away was not something that sat well with me. I left that GP visit at the back of my mind and thought I would deal with it when the day comes. I'm still on the fence around children, mainly because i've not met someone that I would want to share that experience with however the reason I have started to think more about my PCOS is something that was brought to my attention by my current personal trainer.

I have spent thousands on personal trainers, bespoke diet plans - you name it i've tried it. I was on the contraceptive injection from the age of 18 and noticed my weight creeping up from my early 20's. I was always on average around 8.5 stone and a size 8 - could eat what I want and it didn't matter. I came off the injection after concerns that it would take me a long time to get my period back ( I have regular periods ) - I got my period back within 2 months of coming off the injection however I am now on the pill. My weight still continues to creep up. I exercise daily ( and I mean work my butt off exercise! ) my diet is pretty much spot on but I am constantly hungry and constantly crave sugar - my mind doesn't know when to stop and I never feel full. No personal trainer has ever mentioned my PCOS until now. I won a competition to train for 6 weeks and the guy is a genuine lifesaver. He could see how much my weight gets me down - from 8.5 stone to now being 11.2 stone. I'm 5ft 5.

After a bit of a personal chat and me telling him about having PCOS ( never thought to mention it to him as no one else has done anything about it before! ) e suggested that the PCOS has something to do with this. I hold a very large layer of fat mainly around my middle like a rubber ring. What I wanted to achieve from this forum really is what would be your next steps or what have you done about the weight side of things? I have an appointment to see my GP next week and i'm going to ask for a referral to see an Endocrinologist. I have private healthcare so hoping this would be quite quick. My PT is looking into a diet plan for me but I wanted to know of any experiences where medication was prescribed to assist? I don't know if they will do anything for me as I'm not classed as overweight but it really gets me down and recently started with Anxiety which i've been reading that it could be linked?

Sorry for the long essay - if you're still reading at this point then thanks for taking the time!
x
Bailey26

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating