Weight Loss success but...

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Weight Loss success but...

Postby nattynat87 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:36 am

This is my first ever post, i have been a member for some time, i feel now more than ever i need to express my feelings with other ladies such as myself. sorry if its a long one...

now 27, i was diagnosed 3 years ago with PCOS, i had a feeling since late teens something was not right but put it off for years. finally when my periods only came along once every 6 months or so and my hormones were up and down as well and ballooning weight i went to the docs, blood tests and scans confirmed it.

i was pretty heartbroken at the time ill admit, i was 50/50 with the idea of kids but to be told it would be so unlikely without medical intervention made me feel... useless.

so the cycle of emotional abuse i caused myelf began, i ate to make myself feel better, i ate because i craved foods, the more i ate crap the more i craved crap, the more i felt CRAP.
i went to the docs, please give me a magic pill... its the PCOS, clearly!
she said, although your overweight ... your not overweight enough for me to prescribe anything along the lines of metformin or whatever, try diet and exercise, PAH ! i thought how can she expect me to lose weight with this PCOS. so i hatched a plan to keep going until i was fat enough for medication...crazy i know!

in the mean time i got engaged to my lovely husband and this time last year we were planning our 2015 wedding. i was then at my heaviest point at 5'3" and about 13.6 stones. cried myself to sleep, i had no willpower to diet and was terrified of gym. i had even put my gym clothes on and got as far as the front dor before letting my anxieties get the better of me, christmas came and went, obviously i ate like a pig... and the countdown to my may wedding began...

without over thinking, a dark night in january i put my trainers on and started towards the gym, walked in the door and did my first ever metafit class. halfway through i felt so ill! dizzy , sick and could feel my pulse in my ears, the instructor looked out for me, a lady in the class turned to me and said dont worry i still get like that ! i got picked up and i cried my fucking eyes out. is this really what im going to have to put myself through... YES :oops:

anyway the more i went the easier i found it, and found it easier to be more selective about what i ate, took time but i started connecting the dots. i lost 2 stone ! and yet i still saw the same fat dwarf id always seen in the mirror. wedding was a success and our all inclusive honeymoon went down a treat after all the hard work. my periods are also more regular.

my problem is this... i have maintained a gym routine, not as strict as pre-wedding obvs, my food cravings are still at an all time high, makes me so miserable ! and water retention.

water retention is my biggest problem, ive cut out lactose, processed carbs and drink water. i can go from looking ok one day to looking 4 months pregnant. just last week my sister asked me...have you put all that weight back on :evil:

any ideas what else i can do to beat the bloat of water retention that makes my belly look like a bowl of jelly.
nattynat87

Re: Weight Loss success but...

Postby Hols969 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:32 am

The bloat from water could actually be more from food combinations. I would do a food diary and see if anything you are eating cause this. I used to bloat really badly and it was really uncomfortable as well, I stopped having carbs at night and white carbs and did soda bread for about 6 months and it helped massively, I also ate little and often to avoid the bloat as well and actually I rarely get it now. I sort of do the 5:2 diet as well as I have a stone to lose really (had lost 3 stone prior to that about 4 years ago on the Norah Lane diet) and tend to fluctuate a little so get myself back in gear with the 5:2 - I am only 5ft 2 and was 12st 11lb at my heaviest, Im currently 10st 10lb and need to be closer or just below the 10st to be happy (Im 46 so dont want to lose too much as it goes off your face). We do need to eat less than non pcos ladies as we store fat very efficiently so if we ate the RDA every day we would still put on 2lb a month, so over a stone a year just by eating the RDA so it is a battle, motivation is key though and finding a diet that suits you and fits in with your lifestyle. It is funny how we look at ourselves though isnt it, look for the positives rather than the negatives, nice eyes, hair etc, dont focus on the negatives - you do need to learn to accept yourself, which I have finally now, being short doesnt help that is for sure as you look fatter than taller people but you will accept yourself, it does take time though.

You will have children as well, I was told I would never conceive but have Noah who is now 9 - long road but got there in the end, there is so much help nowadays as well and if you need help so what, lots do.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating