At a loss...

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

At a loss...

Postby isa_j » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to PCOS (although I've had issues with my period since I was 17). I'm 22, almost 23, and I've had my ups and downs - at the moment, I'm firmly in the 'downs'. Here's my story - I've gone through times of having no periods in almost a year, to very regular periods. My most recent issues arose after taking cerazette over a year ago for three months. During that time, I gained weight (around 2 stone), spotted randomly and had severe mood swings. After deciding to come off it, I've had very irregular periods, cystic acne, hair growth on my face and hair loss on my head, and have not been able to shift any weight (despite eating very well and exercising frequently). I pestered my GP tirelessly until they gave me an ultrasound and blood test, which showed that I had polycystic ovaries. All my blood work is fine, except borderline low SHBG.

I'm at a loss...I've tried taking Yasmin for a couple of weeks which really didn't agree with me, and the doctor is reluctant to prescribe anything else because they don't seem to know much and aren't particularly sympathetic. To them, I probably sound like a vain young woman, constantly moaning about my appearance. But I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that these changes to my appearance, and the lack of hope I have that it will ever change, is starting to impact my quality of life.

I'm a vegetarian, and follow a mostly low carbohydrate diet (the only carb I eat is bran cereal), and run about 6km 3 times a week. I've just introduced yoga into my life for strength and for mental wellbeing. But it's now got to a stage where all my efforts seem pointless and I'm sinking into a deep depression (I've suffered with severe depression and anxiety in the past, and am really scared of returning to that dark place).

I guess I'm just reaching out for support and advice from you lovely women! Sorry for the essay, but I had a lot that I needed to get off my chest.
isa_j

Re: At a loss...

Postby Chris Brown » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:59 am

Hi there

My daughter was diagnosed with PCOS about 18 months ago. She is now coming up to 21 years old and has suffered many of the symptoms and side effects you mention - erratic or non existent periods, mood swings edging towards depression, weight gain which can take the form of fat and/or muscle. She tries really hard to eat well but it seems to have little effect and then she can binge and put on even more weight. Like all young adults she is very conscious of her appearance and we are desperate to help her - it is more difficult as she is on a study abroad year in Australia and we cant provide hands on help, although we are seeing her in about two months so would be good to go equipped with some new ideas. My wife and I were talking last night and thinking that rather than using the direct route i.e. you must eat well, don't eat sugar etc it should be more indirect for example why not take up running and that will make her think more about a healthy diet and lifestyle. But that hasn't worked for you ?

I do hope you have found a way to get your health back in order. I would very much appreciate your feedback on any remedies you have found that work. Not sure what Cerrazette or Yasmin are but I can Google that. Also your perspective as a lady of a similar age to my daughter. We would of course try to provide any feedback we can to you.

Let me know

Many thanks
Chris Brown

Re: At a loss...

Postby tottielou » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:55 am

Hi

I'm 21 years old and also having the same problems. Some days I can't get out of bed, so demotivated and fed up, especially with my appearance and mentality. My anxiety is at an all time high and I excersise as much as I can, I can see you mentioned yoga and I have seen this on another post, I'm straight to the shops to buy the mats & DVD's.

The doctor once explained, when having PCOS if you eat one sausage it can be compared to a standard person eating three because the weight is so much harder to shift. All creams to manage excess hair are now on the black market so the only thing available is waxing.

Chris, I cannot imagine how hard it is for your daughter in Australia.

If you have had anymore luck isa_j, please let us know. X
tottielou

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating