potatoes?

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

potatoes?

Postby laura741 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:11 am

Anyone have any views on whether potatoes are a good/bad thing for a pcos diet?

I believe they are gluten free and think sweet potatoes are positive - what about normal potatoes?

Hope so as I am cutting out gluten at the moment!

laura741

Re: potatoes?

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Potato is one of the main carb I eat to be honest as you can portion control it better than rice or pasta (which was half my battle I think). I did the Norah Lane diet about 5 years ago and lost 3 stone and potato was fine on that (it is a diet specifically designed for PCOS and was done with lots of advice from Verity - Norah has been doing it for 30 odd years or so so I highly recommend that diet), but what suits one person doesnt suit another and I actually found it really easy to do and fit it around the family and a youngster as well (as you could just add extra to their meals). I also managed to keep it off until my summer hols last year and have put a stone back on but need to get my butt into gear again - I did lose a stone just before my hols at Easter by doing the 5:2 diet where you only have 500 calories per day for 2 days and that worked, but whoops had another holiday and put the weight back on.... so need to get more focused again!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby laura741 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks! I think (white) potatoes might be high on the GI side which I'm trying to avoid, so I might want to have them in moderation... but not rule them out.

Is there a link to the Norah Lane diet, I can't see it easily on a google search?

I lost a stone for my wedding last year and have put it all back on unfortunately! Def need to get focused again!
laura741

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:24 am

Dieting is so dull!! I quite like the 5:2 now as it's not really a diet (I don't go ott on the other days)

Norah used to have a website but is now called vitaline and they have pinched all her knowledge but can't help if you get stuck as they don't understand enough. The NL diet now has over 400 babies conceived naturally after following her diet plan.

If you email me info@verity-pcos.org.uk I can send her email. She won't do the hard sell either if you decide it wouldn't suit you (as that really is half the battle!)
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby wrigglepup » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Hello, I very rarely have white potatoes and have lost weight and its stayed off, having said that I avoid all the stuff I used to eat with them, bread & butter and frozen convenience etc. I have buckwheat instead, it is good as a rice substitute too!
I believe buckwheat is gluten free, it's very nutritious and low on calories.x
wrigglepup

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating