Lean PCOS

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Lean PCOS

Postby shannond20 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Everyone!
Trying to deal with PCOS, the effects and the possibility of infertility is so stressful, so like anyone I looked online to see what is best to improve chances and things. The main thing that comes up is controlling your weight but I'm slim. My doctor assumed I didn't have PCOS because I do not show and of the 'typical' physical symptoms but still sent me for tests and it came back that my testoserone levels were too high and after my ultrasound PCOS was confirmed.

Please can someone give me some advice that is not weight related because it is all I see!
The one thing I did find is that people refer to it as 'Lean PCOS'

Thank you!
shannond20

Re: Lean PCOS

Postby NoodleBrew » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:55 am

I'm in that category too. I think a lot of the general advice (low GI diet, exercise, plenty of sleep, stress reduction etc.) still helps, just without the need to lose any weight. Also supplements! It depends which bit of your PCOS you're trying to tackle but I found that both inositol and high dose agnus castus have helped kick-start ovulation in the past, and I think agnus castus can help with acne.
Having said that, I've always had really irregular periods and worried about fertility, but since moving in with my husband, eating chips and ice-cream a little more often and putting on about a stone I've been ovulating regularly and actually feel pretty good, so sometimes what helps can be counter-intuitive! Having said that my other symptoms (excess hair and acne) haven't been brilliant, so if they were really bugging me I would be going down a stricter low-GI route.
NoodleBrew

Postby Hols969 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:22 pm

As noodle says it's really to do with diet so cut out all sugar and white carbs as this makes our symptom worse. It's rare it to conceive just due to pcos, we are not infertile, some conceive no problem, some need a bit of help and others need iui/ivf so try not to worry. Also lots of fertility issues are now men!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby shannond20 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:23 pm

Thank you noddle and hols. My doctors didn't think I had PCOS, I didnt have any of the'typical' sympotoms, just the missed periods.

Me and my boyfriend have decided we want to travel and stuff for a bit and in about two years, try for kids so I'm worrying for that. Even though it isnt a while off I want to improve my chances the best I can!
shannond20

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating