Desperate for answers (newbie)

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Desperate for answers (newbie)

Postby Confusedskye » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:52 am

Hi everyone, I'm just here for a little help and guidance... I've always been a steady weight around 10 1/2 stone, I'm 22 years old and haven't had a period since I was 16 due to contraception (I went on the depo injection because of painful heavy periods) before going to uni I changed to the implant because my nurse advised me as she insisted it was easier than an injection every 3 month. So within 3 month or less with the implant I noticed my weight balloon and I became extremely hormonal and my doctor said it should settle down after a couple of months, so I waited another 3 month (gaining 2 stone) and asked for it to be taken out. I explained how harsh my periods where as a teenager and was sure I wanted to marina coil fitted. So I swapped contraception and began a new diet (i was always relatively healthy) thinking the weight would eventually drop off. I was going on long bike rides 4 times a week, maintaining a healthy low cal diet and after a few weeks of working hard I realised I hadn't lost anything. I was on the verge of giving up as I was the exact same weight, I went to the doctors and he put me on his diet plan and patronised me as if I was stupid. So after 3 months of not loosing a single pound I hoped once my hormones had settled down it would eventually naturally sort itself out. I began to not think about my diet as much, not eating unhealthy just not being obsessive (living my life) suddenly I started to put on more weight and within a matter of weeks I'm 2 stone heavier again. (4 stone in total in one year) I had my first ever break out in acne and I was hideously confused and depressed. So after wallowing for a few weeks I went to the doctors yet again, strict diet and insisted she monitor my weight, she said I was being silly and not eating enough. Personally I'm scared to eat a lot of fear of gaining more weight! she put me on a 'slimming world' type diet, loads of pasta and cereal. I reluctantly followed it to a T and the next week I had gained 4lb. (Shocking ha!) she obviously thought I wasn't following it and accused me of having some "sly take aways". My friend had mentioned PCOS as she has it herself but It had never even crossed my mind before now but I mentioned the possibility to my doctor and she said "well you haven't got a beard so I wouldn't worry about that" So she gave up on me and referred me to some mindless "healthy change clinic" which has a 5 week waiting list. So I booked a different appointment with a different doctor who tested my bloods the same day. My bloods came back all negative and I'm still no further forward with knowing why I can't loose weight. I was positive it was PCOS related and feel stupid for even asking for it to be looked into further. I know my own body and one year ago I could have lost a stone in a week if I tried now all I have to do is eat a sandwich and I've gained 4lb! Haha it's beyond laughable, I sound like such a hypercondeiac but I just need some actual advice from women who understand. I'm not sure where I can go from here, I'm exercising every other day and eating nothing nice. I can't live like this for much longer with no results.
Confusedskye

Re: Desperate for answers (newbie)

Postby Hols969 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Both the depo and implant are not that good from a pcos point of view. I would go on a combined contraceptive like yasmin if you can as it masks the pcos symptoms and make losing weight a little bit easier.

We need to eat less than the RDA because of how efficiently we store fat, so I would have 6 smaller meals a day and cut out carbs at night if you can. I agree with you about slimming world, to me it doesnt make much sense but there are lots of ladies who have had success on it. To have all those carbs is a bit weird I think.

As for it being pcos, well you dont need a beard, not everyone has them so I would ask for a scan to see if you have cysts (which are only a symptom and not the cause) and also blood test can be hit and miss also.

What other symptoms do you have as you can be diagnosed by symptoms alone. And no you arent a hypochondriac, you do know your own body so trust it... When I came off the pill to try for a baby, it was over the Xmas 2 week and I put on a stone... so I know how you feel, yes I did overeat but not that much.

The Verity Facebook page is more active than the discussion board and Ive also joined PCOS (cysters in the UK) which I find really friend and is a closed group so no one will see the posts you make on their on your page. Come over and join us on there.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby youlemming » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi, your story sounds a lot like mine in terms of heavy periods from my teens and a rapid weight gain during my early 20's once I started uni.
I went to uni around 9st and by the age of 22 I was closer to 14st, I had times of dropping a bit but I would always go on to put on extra and eventually ended up closer to 17st by my late 20's!
Being on a low carb low GI diet definetly helped and back in 2012 I managed to lose about 2st but had to be very strict which is not sustainable long term, then I joined the local rugby club and that type of training seemed to really work for me and I got back down to just over 13st.
So I think it's finding the type of excersies that your body response to the best.

Asking for a scan should give a better clue on whether it's pcos, as Hols said the bloods can be hit and miss and really depends on when in the month they do them.
Sounds like the second doctor is more open to investigating than the first but don't be afrid to see others if you get no where, it's still something that hasn't got the right level of understanding with some GP's.
If you can get a referall to an endochrinologist even better as even if it's not pcos they can look at all differnt types of hormonal imbalances that could be the cause.
Hope you get the answers and help you are looking for.
50mg Clomid May
50mg June = BFP!!!!!
Due 9th March 2010
Amelia 09/03/10 7lb 14oz
Dec BFP with No.2 - Girl due 31st July 2015
Phoebe 31/07/2015 8lb 2oz
youlemming

Postby mcpherson1997 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:59 pm

I am also a newbie when it comes to answers for pcos. I was talking to a co-worker of mine, who I confide in, and her daughter is battling weight and hormones as well. She referred me to an article on pcos, it was very helpful but I am always searching for more information as well. It didn't give me specific diets, but it did tell me what to incorporate in my diet and what to stay away from. I hope it helps, I've been following these tips for 2 weeks now and I've lost about 3 pounds, I'm also doing yoga. Best of luck to you. http://detoxscientific.com/pcos-diet
mcpherson1997

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating