<1200 calories a day? Surely not!

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

<1200 calories a day? Surely not!

Postby LittleFawn » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:45 pm

I have had a battle with pcos my whole life but was only just diagnosed 9 or so months ago. I am 23, and was over weight from age 12 - 19. However in this time my weight gradually decreased, I've never been a big eater but imagine from age 12 - 16 having no idea that bread makes you fat, I was a few stone overweight. I am 5' exactly.
At age 12 I was 13 stone, at 16 I was 9 stone, at 18 I was 8 stone, at 19 I was 7 stone until now at 23 I am a slim 6.5 stone. My proper weight loss journey started when I was 19, and I cut out all my junk and sugar, started low GI, kicked being vegetarian and eat a lot of protein and I've always loved my veggies. And I exercised PROPERLY, like doing cardio 7 days a week for 1 to insane hours, and weight training in the past year.

Just out of curiosity, today I was googling 'how many calories is recommended for a woman with pcos' and I've read some shocking things. Like 20 stone women apparently eating LESS than 800 calories and still GAINING weight. I'm sorry but now I'm terrified I'm going to be obese. My diet from earlier (when I was 12 - 19) was probably only 2000 - 2200 but filled with carbs and sugar, but I can see how that can make a pcos lady put on weight because of our slow metabolism and insulin resistance.

What I worry about is now at 23, eating around 1500 cals a day, will at say age 33 eating 1500 make me gain weight? Am I going to be eating 800 cals a day when I'm 33 and be obese? And then when I'm 43 be eating 400 calories a day and be morbidly obese?! I don't understand?!
In this past year I've become a fitness freak and now I have abs and lovely arms, I don't want to lose all that because I'm over eating at 1500?! I now I understand the importance of low GI diet and cutting carbs (I barley eat any) and exercise is POWERFUL and I think matters more than diet. It's helped wonders with my pain, symptoms, mood and just my over all health. I love it and it's addictive.

If you don't believe me, read pretty much every woman on this thread say they are eating <1200 and are still GAINING weight. How?!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show ... -1200-cals

If my pcos changes later on in life; will I become obese despite eating low GI, 1500 cals and doing a bastard amount of exercise?

Why don't scientists find out what gives you pcos and then give it to the starving children in africa? They'll all be obese in no time, because I bet they are eating <1200 a day. Lol sorry for being so dark, but it's what I feel :(

I'm actually terrified because I guess I could be called a success story on weight loss for the past 4 years. Don't want to be eating 1500 low GI cals a day, and 2 or 3 hours exercise a day and still get obese. May as well take a long walk off a short pier if that's the case.
LittleFawn

Re: <1200 calories a day? Surely not!

Postby Hols969 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:31 am

We only need to eat slightly less than the 2000 calories a day to maintain our weight, if we eat the RDA then we would put on 2lb a month. I eat close to 2000 and don't put on weight (I have lost weight (3 stone, 3 years ago) and pretty much about right now) and I find it easy to maintain. The key is having little and often to keep our metabolism higher as the longer we go between meals the more our bodies go into storage mode. 1200 calories is too little really, especially if you are exercising as well. I found I struggled to lose weight on 1200 and exercising as I think my body always felt it was in starvation mode so I did better doing exercise and being on about 1600 calories. So they key is don't eat too little and eat 6 smaller meals a day and it should be easier to lose weight or maintain it. I am 45 by the way and pretty much the same weight as I was in my 20s (Im about a stone over but its better to be slightly over when you get to your 40s as its kinder on your face!!)
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: <1200 calories a day? Surely not!

Postby wrigglepup » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi, I am 46 have struggled to stay slim since the age of 12 and only 5 1" myself. Over the years I have modified my eating as the weight always creeps back. At one point I was spending lots of time in a gym, before I knew what was up, so I wasn't seeing the results I'd hoped for.
A few years ago I was diagnosed with pcos I was told to avoid sugars, only recently though have I seriously put the diet into practice and I have already lost weight, please don't panic I'm sure if you keep an eye on your weight you'll be fine, I'm under 9 stone and also I have never ever counted calories just eat healthy and keep active.
I haven't noticed my metabolism slow down at all. Eating low GI and not too bigger portions seems to be working well.
Hope this is some help and all goes well. X
wrigglepup

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating