Has anyone else tried reducing their sugar intake?

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Has anyone else tried reducing their sugar intake?

Postby artoostacetoo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, I was officially diagnosed with PCOS a couple of weeks ago, I kind of knew in the back of my mind for a few years that I had it but only just plucked up the courage and went to the docs to face the truth.

Been doing a lot of research on what I should/shouldn't be eating, and I came across a book while shopping called 'I Quit Sugar'.

I've only read the 1st few pages and already its scared me into cutting my sugar intake, I have been aiming to have a maximum of 50g a day.

I am feeling pretty rubbish at the moment, feeling drained, tired and very irritable (keep having petty arguments with my partner).

Has anyone else tried reducing their sugar intake and had any side effects? Are these permanent or temporary?

Thanks,

Stace
artoostacetoo

Re: Has anyone else tried reducing their sugar intake?

Postby Hols969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:59 pm

Yes, it takes about 3 weeks to feel better, BUT you will never really have to do it again... I cut out all white carbs and only kept natural sugar in fruit (and use sweetner) and I no longer get cravings for noodles or carb type suppers (or chocolate!) which I used to quite badly. It isn't easy but is worth it, its the hidden sugars in white carbs that I think cause most of the pcos issues and sugar is a drug in some ways.....

Good luck... keep strong.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Mrs_T » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:04 am

Hi Stace, I would say cutting out sugar and other processed foods was the best thing I did to help my PCOS, alongside taking a few different supplements. I've got the I quit sugar book as an ebook and also the recipe book. If you'd like copies just pm me your email address and i'll email them to you x
Mrs_T

Postby bell4309 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi Mrs T

is there any chance you could email me the ebooks too?? Pretttyyyy ppllleeeaassseee!
(email address removed by VERITY due to spammers - requested user to PM you)
thank you :)
Kim
You are never alone in how you feel, even when it seems like it!
bell4309

Postby twinkle_star » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Ooh what's this i quit sugar book please?
After trying several diets with no success i'm trying a low GI approach but have terrible carb/sugar cravings in the afternoons, it's driving me mad!!
twinkle_star

Postby Mrs_T » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:49 am

Bell4309 & twinkle_star and anyone else who's interested - happy to email them to you, just pm me your email addresses
Mrs_T

Postby wrigglepup » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi stace
Yes I have not had sugar, bread, potatoes, rice, or pasta for a month (not sure if this is wise) but have only had a couple of wobbles which I managed to ignore. I miss Friday night pizza!
I am feeling much more harmonious!
For breakfast I have a good carb granola with fresh fruit and low GI foods with protein for others main meals.
It's a change of diet rather than a diet but I am in disbelief how I have lost nearly a stone!
I am eating less but only by default as I used to have bread and butter with evening meals and don't substitute chips with any thing, if peckish will snack on some granola or healthy stuff. Also avoiding drinking too much alcohol!
Hope I can keep a steady weight at last!
wrigglepup

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating