Why am I sick after a high protein meal?'!!!

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Why am I sick after a high protein meal?'!!!

Postby Avelena » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi I have started my low carb high protein eating plan again, working with Doctor in a group with others,.

I'm in my second full week. In my first week I felt bit yuk but I knew this was just detoxing and it would pass. I am having problems keeping meals down . I had two oatcakes and a teaspoon of no sugar peanut butter on each for breakfast this morning and felt sick straight after eating it, I had home made leek soup for lunch, leeks with veg bouillon stock and garlic had no problems with that felt fine, I had two cheese ( teaspoon in small muffin cup) and onion frittata home made, 2 soya veg sausage and two tinned tomatoes for tea about 5 mins after I brought the whole lot up, I'm not bulimic it was completely unintentional.

I am 100% definitely not pregnant and not diabetic and not feeling ill , except after meals with low carb high protein, has anyone had problems after eating high protein low carb like this. I am really irritated as I did well last time before Christmas losing weight on this eating method with help of the group run by my Dr and nurse at the local surgery. I am not being irresponsible but very careful planning meals with knowledge from books and Dr/ Nurse and low carb group. Helllp really puzzled?!!!
If you judge a book by it's cover, you miss what's inside!
Avelena

Re: Why am I sick after a high protein meal?'!!!

Postby Hols969 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 pm

I get nauseous if I eat something that is too rich for me. Is this diet too much of a contrast to your previous diet as you body is struggling to adjust this time around ? By high protein what do you mean, basically eating more protein and fewer carbs or is it significantly more protein ?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Avelena » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Yes I'm pretty much keeping the carbs very low, mostly the carbs in the vegetables or soya meat substitute or tofu , no bread, potatoes, rice etc and a great deal more protein, I did this before Christmas and was ok, if I have too high fat it upsets my stomach but I've usually been ok with the high protein approach?!
Avelena

Postby Hols969 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Are you having different types of protein than last time, e.g soya ?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Avelena » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:07 pm

No very similar, in a lot of cases much the same meals, eggs in frittata, tofu with peppers, soya meat replacement sausage or pieces, peanut butter no sugar, I cannot stomach quorn that definitely doesn't agree with me. Soup made with stock 1 teaspoon veg bouillon and bit of garlic seems to be ok, had no problems with that. Trying a fast day to let digestion calm down just had fresh water today, will try something basic tomorrow for breakfast and see how it goes!
Avelena

Postby Hols969 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Have you ever been diagnosed with IBS? Its very strange really why the sudden issue with some food - the only thing I can think of is it is somehow to do with food combinations, you aren't taking any medication like metformin as I know lots of different foods can give you the sh!ts but perhaps yours works top end instead of bottom end :-)
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Avelena » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm on Metformin but Dr recently reduced my dose from 850 three times a day to 500 three times a day, never been diagnosed with IBS, trying today without the Metformin to see if makes a difference. Being very careful what I'm eating as horrid being sick!

Not sure if low Carbing is right for me to be honest, ok lost weight but lot slower than some in the group even being strict, I have never come down with so many colds, bugs, and sickness after meals as while I've been low Carbing, I used to get away without catching the lergy going around work when most others got it, even being overweight I have always been otherwise healthy, blood pressure great, all blood tests brill, except hormones connected with PCOS, not whingeing but getting bit fed up with it.
Avelena

Postby Hols969 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:59 pm

It does get frustrating, but I think it can take a few weeks to settle, where you on metformin last time you did the diet? I do think low carb is good, but maybe your stomach can't handle the high protein this time around. I do low carb but I don't eat too much protein, I did eat more initially to fill me up, but I think as my tum has shrunk I don't need the extra protein.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Avelena » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:15 pm

It is very frustrating, I was on higher dose of Metformin the last time. I think l'll try lower carb rather than as low as l can get it and balance protein, I think it works, but it is so slow for me, a lot in the group are doing it for blood pressure or other health concerns than just weight, I am sort of on licence as I need to lose the weight to be a ' healthy weight' to stay on Dianette as the Dr is worried because I am over 35 and so is my BMI despite healthy bloods and blood pressure, I feel the pressure is on as I really don't want to come off Dianette it has always suited me, I did try others but they didn't work as well.
Avelena

Postby Hols969 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:44 am

No I don't blame you, I am on Yasmin (I am 44) and would hate to come off it, make sure you have snacks as well to keep your metabolism higher. I lost 3 stone on the Norah lane diet, which is basically low carb and gi based, 3 years ago and generally have managed to maintain it pretty well - perhaps if you lost weight on this diet before and put it back on then maybe the diet is not right for you long term. Because we have a slower metabolism we do need to eat little and often to keep it higher. Good luck I hope it improves.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Avelena » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:46 am

Thanks l'll look up the Norah Lane diet, 3 stone is brilliant. l'll keep trying with lower Carbing bit longer not as strict , I think I just go through ups and downs eating wise, good to get second viewpoint, thanks for the suggestions! 8)
Avelena

Postby airry87 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi,

Low carb diets and lots of exercise are probably not the best idea. Your body cannot mobilise fat/protein stores until you have been exercising for at least 30mins therefore you need carbs to get you through this part of the training. You are probably feeling ill because your body is lacking the energy to do everything you are asking it to.

Carbs are not bad for you they provide fibre, b vitamins and energy as long as you choose healthy varieties - granary bread, wholemeal pasta/rice, leave the skin on your pototoea and don't add fat to them by putting creamy sauces/butter on them or frying them they are a really important part of a healthy diet. Most people loose weight quickly on low carb diets because you store carbs with water so most of the initial weight loss is water rather than fat.

Try adding in a few more carbs and see if it makes you feel better. Is a diet that makes you feel ill going to be something you can do long term?

Hope this helps
Ariana Watson
airry87

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating